PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Leak

4alkings
07-20-2016, 10:38 PM
I have noticed the strong odor of gas after filling up the last few times. Today I did a little investigating to discover where it was coming from. As I finished filling the tank I checked the fill lines to the gas tank and no leak was noted. Then I removed the access panel in the floor above the fuel pump and saw gas pouring out where the fuel pump goes through the metal plate on top of the fuel tank. Called my local dealer and they informed me that the fuel pump is $650. That seems awfully steep. A little further investigation and I noticed that the fuel pump actually sits up a little higher than the floor frame so that the access panel actually pushes down on the pump when in place. Seems like a serious design flaw that will only cause the pump to eventually leak again. Anyone have experience with this?

4alkings
07-20-2016, 10:45 PM
Here is a picture to show you more

gnarlydude
07-21-2016, 08:45 AM
What year and boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4alkings
07-21-2016, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=gnarlydude;124493]What year and boat?

Thought it would be obvious in my signature, but it is 2011 Launch 242.

markthered
07-25-2016, 05:48 PM
I have noticed the strong odor of gas after filling up the last few times. Today I did a little investigating to discover where it was coming from. As I finished filling the tank I checked the fill lines to the gas tank and no leak was noted. Then I removed the access panel in the floor above the fuel pump and saw gas pouring out where the fuel pump goes through the metal plate on top of the fuel tank. Called my local dealer and they informed me that the fuel pump is $650. That seems awfully steep. A little further investigation and I noticed that the fuel pump actually sits up a little higher than the floor frame so that the access panel actually pushes down on the pump when in place. Seems like a serious design flaw that will only cause the pump to eventually leak again. Anyone have experience with this?

Your note made me want to check mine over the weekend, and there is a gap b/w the pump and the floor, so there is no physical contact w/ the pump on mine. Very odd that your 2011 242 is different in that regard than my 2011 22V.

4alkings
07-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Your note made me want to check mine over the weekend, and there is a gap b/w the pump and the floor, so there is no physical contact w/ the pump on mine. Very odd that your 2011 242 is different in that regard than my 2011 22V.

I agree that its strange. My local dealer put in a call to Skiers Choice and they wanted to know if the floor is sagging or if the fuel tank has shifted. I laid a level across the floor and there is definitely no sagging. Dealer had pulled the floor up a few weeks ago looking for the leak and didn't note any shifting of the tank, but they weren't looking for it either. I'm a bit disappointed with them that they didn't find the leak and I was able to find it without pulling up the floor. Skiers Choice is surprised that the pump is actually higher than the bottom of the floor. They stated that it is tight in there but it should not be that high. Not sure how this is going to get resolved. The pump works fine and doesn't leak unless I fill the tank all the way full. Hard to swallow having to spend $650 for a new fuel pump.

4alkings
07-25-2016, 09:09 PM
Hey Mark, Do you know if yours has the same fuel pump as mine? You can read the part # in the pic above.

gnarlydude
07-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Were the stringers rebuilt? Maybe done things hit altered?

markthered
07-26-2016, 09:09 AM
Hey Mark, Do you know if yours has the same fuel pump as mine? You can read the part # in the pic above.

I can check, but it will be a couple of weekends from now. I'm out of town this weekend, and my boat is stored up at the lake, so I don't have quick access to it.

gnarlydude
07-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Just a thought as I read your post.

gnarlydude
07-26-2016, 11:00 AM
Never mind... I'm dumb. Boat is too new. I didn't read back far enough.

markthered
07-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Never mind... I'm dumb. Boat is too new. I didn't read back far enough.

Lol, I've read a number of smart and helpful comments from you, so I was fairly certain you didn't see the 2011 year!

4alkings
07-26-2016, 06:33 PM
Talked with my local dealer today. The plan is to pull the floor again and inspect the tank to make sure it has not shifted. They will also take a look at the fuel pump to see if the right one is in there. That will all take place next week. Not sure yet if Skiers Choice is going to be of any assistance with this issue. Boat is now 5 years old. It's hard to imagine that someone would have replaced the pump or put the wrong one in, but I don't know the full history.

4alkings
08-03-2016, 06:09 PM
Just got the boat back today from my local dealer. They pulled the floor again and the techs seem to think the tank has bowed up causing the sending unit to stick up further than it should. Their solution was to wedge a couple 2x4's under the floor to push down on the tank. By the time I trailered the boat home the 2x4's had already come loose and were moving freely under the floor - hardly a reasonable solution or repair. I made a modification of my own to at least take some pressure of the sending unit by cutting away a little of the aluminum on the access panel support to give some clearance. We'll see how this goes for now. Tech said he is talking with Skiers Choice to see what kind of solution they can come up with. Pretty sure I'm not going to layout the cash to install a new fuel tank as that seems quite excessive and there really doesn't appear to be a bowed up deformity of the tank.

Before pic17598

After pic17597

markthered
08-03-2016, 06:28 PM
That's nuts. Thanks for the update. I'll be sure to check mine periodically...

gnarlydude
08-04-2016, 09:30 AM
That's the best they can do? That's unacceptable!

Any news from Skier's Choice?

4alkings
08-04-2016, 12:32 PM
That's the best they can do? That's unacceptable!

Any news from Skier's Choice?

Got a call from my local dealer last evening wanting to know if I could pull up the floor and take pics of the tank for them to forward on to Skiers Choice. Guess I will do that as I can pull the floor up easier than running the boat all the way back to the dealer again. We'll see what they say once I send the pics. I'm a bit frustrated that I seem to be the one doing all the leg work on this. I'll update once I know more.

gnarlydude
08-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Wow! Not my kind of dealer...

CornRickey
08-13-2016, 12:05 PM
I would verify the tank vent is functioning properly. Gasoline has the ability to generate 10psi @ 100f. Obviously the gas didn't get to 100 but it does generate pressure. If the vent isn't functioning properly the tank would bow. The top bowing could only be from internal pressure not from the weight of the gas. If it's working properly then it's a wrong pump or defect tank from the factory and it finally broke.

4alkings
08-14-2016, 03:21 PM
I would verify the tank vent is functioning properly. Gasoline has the ability to generate 10psi @ 100f. Obviously the gas didn't get to 100 but it does generate pressure. If the vent isn't functioning properly the tank would bow. The top bowing could only be from internal pressure not from the weight of the gas. If it's working properly then it's a wrong pump or defect tank from the factory and it finally broke.

At the dealer currently and the factory has requested that they check for that exact thing. I will update when I know more.

4alkings
08-18-2016, 10:01 PM
Update as of 8/18/16
Got a call from my local dealer. Technician and folks at Skiers Choice put there heads together to come up with a reason the sending unit is sitting higher than the floor support. They decided that over the years someone must have been fueling the boat past the point where the pump first cuts off, thus causing the tank to bow upward. Me - not buying it. Technician kept trying to sell me that story over the last several weeks. Although I am not the original owner of the boat, I just have a real hard time believing that the fuel tank would expand like that from over fueling and a harder time believing that someone would consistently over fuel the boat. Disappointed by Skiers Choice response to the issue, but not really surprised as the boat is outside of warranty.

They did test to make sure the tank was venting correctly and said that the vent is working properly.

Dealer wanted $1900 to replace the tank. I'm not dropping the coin for that. I wonder if they installed the new tank and the issue was still the same if they would refund my money? I'm guessing no!

NorCalPR
08-19-2016, 12:25 AM
Lmao. Maybe the tank would bow if it was made of saran wrap

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk