PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Issue

klishchynsky
07-21-2016, 03:06 PM
Hello,

So here's the issue, I have a 4 channel amp powering 8 factory speakers in my 2001 Launch SSV. One of the channels doesn't seem to be working, so i hooked up the boat speakers to one channel, the 10" sub to another, and the 2 6" speakers on the tower to another channel. Whenever I put the volume above 15 the whole deck goes out. I am assuming the everything is now just underpowered by the amp, and it needs to be replaced, but Im no stereo expert so just wondering what everyone's thoughts are.

Thanks!

Wylietunes
07-21-2016, 07:50 PM
You've overloaded some chnls by placing a load thats too low of an impedance. I would undo what you have done and then replace the component with the bad chnl.

Just to clarify, you have 6 in-boats, 2 towers (thats the 8?) and them a sub and one 4 chnl amp? Pics and model numbers would be great.

klishchynsky
07-22-2016, 02:47 PM
I'll get some pics as soon as I can. Any idea what what component would have to be replaced if a channel is out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klishchynsky
07-22-2016, 02:48 PM
You've overloaded some chnls by placing a load thats too low of an impedance. I would undo what you have done and then replace the component with the bad chnl.

Just to clarify, you have 6 in-boats, 2 towers (thats the 8?) and them a sub and one 4 chnl amp? Pics and model numbers would be great.

And yea that's the layout for the speakers

klishchynsky
07-31-2016, 11:25 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160801/07441f0e0c8b5758df83b9e6169e44bf.jpg

Here's the amp. Is it not big enough to power 8 speakers and a sub?

TrueKaotik
08-01-2016, 08:59 AM
No, that's not big enough for what you have to answer your question. You will need to add a amplifier or replace that one with a 5 or 6 channel amplifier.

Wylietunes
08-01-2016, 09:26 AM
"Big" has nothing to do with it. You've got 8 speakers and a woofer wire to a 4 channel amp with a dead chnl. By shifting a couple of speakers over to another chnls, you have wired the amp with an impedance thats lower than its designed operating parameter. This can and likely will, cause the amp to cycle off when the volume is turned up. However, this will not cause the head unit to cycle off, unless some of those speakers are wired to the head unit and youve doubled up one of the head unit chnls with two speakers.

So, I would return the wiring to how it was, confirm the dead chnl or bad spaker(s) and any other faulty equipment. Then replace as needed.

With 6 in-boats, 2 tower pods and a woofer, You either need two amps or need to shift some of the in-boats to the head unit, if they are not already there. I would suggest a 2 chnl amp for the tower pods and a 5 or 6 chnl for the woofer and 6 in-boats.

klishchynsky
08-02-2016, 12:55 AM
"Big" has nothing to do with it. You've got 8 speakers and a woofer wire to a 4 channel amp with a dead chnl. By shifting a couple of speakers over to another chnls, you have wired the amp with an impedance thats lower than its designed operating parameter. This can and likely will, cause the amp to cycle off when the volume is turned up. However, this will not cause the head unit to cycle off, unless some of those speakers are wired to the head unit and youve doubled up one of the head unit chnls with two speakers.

So, I would return the wiring to how it was, confirm the dead chnl or bad spaker(s) and any other faulty equipment. Then replace as needed.

With 6 in-boats, 2 tower pods and a woofer, You either need two amps or need to shift some of the in-boats to the head unit, if they are not already there. I would suggest a 2 chnl amp for the tower pods and a 5 or 6 chnl for the woofer and 6 in-boats.

Thanks Wylietunes!

I'm no stereo expert, what do you mean by head unit?

ckracing
08-10-2016, 09:39 PM
Head unit - the radio or source unit.
I don't ever want to discourage someone from giving a project a try...
Based on your knowledge level - you may be better outsourcing your stereo work. Overloading amps, improperly powering amplifiers, wrong wires, shoddy grounds - they're all a cause for larger problems (sound wise and safety wise).
Spend the money, learn from a pro and it'll last a long time.

Nowra
09-02-2016, 09:26 AM
Thank you very much

miks
09-17-2016, 01:19 PM
Thankssss for that issue

Latme1964
11-16-2016, 02:12 AM
I have the same problem

TrueKaotik
02-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Big has everything to do with it when you don't have enough channels to support the amount of speakers silly.. wow...

Wylietunes
02-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Big is such a technical word for you :p

TrueKaotik
02-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Seems to be for you, that's for sure...

Wylietunes
02-15-2017, 01:10 PM
Are you seriously for real? You knock the dust off a 6 month old thread to debate the word "big"? The lack of amp channels was established 11 days prior to your original "big" post. silly :rolleyes: If you go back and read, you should be able to realize, that my post using the word "big" was in response to the OP's post, in which he asked if his amp was not big enough.

TrueKaotik
02-23-2017, 11:14 PM
The lack of amp channels was never "established" before my post if you read correctly, "silly". You only asked questions and gave no advice. Twist how you want bud.. just pointing out that "big" does have something to do with it if you look at it as a channel issue and not a power issue. Because face it, a 4 channel couldn't run all that equipment so it has to be not enough channels related to start. His definition of big was never established as I responded right after his first "big" question, then you after me.
Sorry my post wasn't in your time frame, didn't know there was one. :cool: