PDA

View Full Version : Turned key and nothing happened, only once though

Rileymurph41
07-25-2016, 06:12 PM
2004 supra launch ssv. Out for a few hours start and stop no problem. All gauges good. Turned the key,. Nothing happened. Sat for 5 minutes and fired right up. Had no problems the rest of the day. Any ideas?

torch
07-25-2016, 06:13 PM
Boat was not in neutral, sometimes need to just wiggle throttle a bit to ensure it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jzelt
07-26-2016, 02:03 PM
Same boat and have had this happen to me a few times the beginning of the year.
After a while of it happening, I can now hear the click of the solenoid.
I did clean the battery cables as they were pretty corroded in the battery box.
Since, not an issue.

Agree w/torch's assessment as well, had that happen in a river lock last summer. Not sure if I didn't take it out of gear or if son engaged it. Spent 1/2 hr trying to figure it out, tapping on the starter, went to helm and moved the lever to try to wiggle into neutral and sure enough it clicked. Started right up.

klishchynsky
07-28-2016, 05:33 PM
I have a 2001 launch. It does this all the time. I think there's a problem with the relay in the ignition system. Haven't traced the source of the problem yet

Rileymurph41
07-29-2016, 03:16 AM
Thanks for your help everyone!

NorCalPR
07-29-2016, 08:28 PM
Another vote for neutral. If theres any play in the cables, you could he in neutral at the lever, but the trans wherw the switch is may not be...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

klishchynsky
07-31-2016, 07:56 PM
Since, not an issue.

Agree w/torch's assessment as well, had that happen in a river lock last summer. Not sure if I didn't take it out of gear or if son engaged it. Spent 1/2 hr trying to figure it out, tapping on the starter, went to helm and moved the lever to try to wiggle into neutral and sure enough it clicked. Started right up.

Where exactly is the lever you had to wiggle to get it to start. Is the issue in the throttle itself, or at the helm?

NorCalPR
07-31-2016, 11:59 PM
Throttle. When mine does it, ill usually pop it into reverse, then back to neutral and it will kick right over.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

klishchynsky
08-02-2016, 12:48 AM
Still having big issues with mine. I'm thinking it may be the ignition switch that's worn out and needs to be replaced?

klishchynsky
08-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Since, not an issue.

Mine has about an inch of play while its in neutral at the helm. Is there anyway to tighten it up? It currently takes upwards of 20 try's to get it to start up. Otherwise nothing, except the single click of what I'm assuming is the solenoid.

chris young
08-04-2016, 08:45 AM
If you're hearing the solenoid click then it's not the ignition switch.(still could be but not very likely) It's also not the neutral switch. You need to check all the connections from the battery to the starter, clean them well and then put it all back together. If it's an integral starter/solenoid type starter, (I don't know exactly what's on your boat) then you're likely into a new or rebuilt starter. If the solenoid is separate like it is on my boat, then you can test the starter by running a jumper cable straight from the +ve terminal on the battery to the +ve terminal on the starter,(firmly connect it at the starter end and push the other end on to the battery post, don't clamp it) and the starter should turn. Beware a starter draws A LOT of current so you will get a significant spark when you do this, and you need to commit to pushing the jumper cable end hard on to the battery post.