PDA

View Full Version : Building Subwoofer Enclosure

4alkings
08-03-2016, 05:53 PM
I'm getting ready to tackle building a sealed subwoofer enclosure. Currently I have a 4 ohm 10" Kicker sub running off the sub channel on my Kicker ZX700.5 amp in free air space up under the helm. Thinking that I'll get a 2 ohm Kicker and put it in a sealed box I build.

After doing a little research I think I'm going to use exterior grade MDF to construct the box and coat it in fiberglass.

Any suggestions or input before I get started would be appreciated.

Wylietunes
08-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Got room to do two? A pair of KM-10 in a 1.8 sealed splitting 420W rms is quite impressive.

Other wise, if you are going to go with another woofer for a 2 ohm coil, go with a 12" Enclosure volume would be about the same, just need 2" more height and width over a 10". That extra surface are will do more than getting that extra 200W from the amp.

Im a birch man myself. Go with a 2-part resin over fiberglass. Build the box right and you wont need additional strength from fiberglass, just need waterproofing.

4alkings
08-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Got room to do two? A pair of KM-10 in a 1.8 sealed splitting 420W rms is quite impressive.

Other wise, if you are going to go with another woofer for a 2 ohm coil, go with a 12" Enclosure volume would be about the same, just need 2" more height and width over a 10". That extra surface are will do more than getting that extra 200W from the amp.

Im a birch man myself. Go with a 2-part resin over fiberglass. Build the box right and you wont need additional strength from fiberglass, just need waterproofing.

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the feedback. Box area that I have under the helm is approx. 20" tall x 23" wide x 10" deep. I am intrigued about the idea of doing (2) Km-10's. And birch would definitely be less expensive than the exterior grade MDF. If I do the birch, do I need to use the fiberglass or can I just do the 2-part resin and call it done? Also in wiring (2) subs together, I'm guessing that the wires running from the amp to the speakers go (1) to positive and (1) to negative of the two subs and then wire from positive to negative between the (2) subs, correct?

Thanks for your help.

Wylietunes
08-04-2016, 09:28 AM
@ 23W two KM10 will fit side by side, but they will be close. @ 23 x 20 10, you internal volume couldnt be more ideal.

Make sure you get the higher quality birch. Its usually void-free as compared to the lower grade used for subfloor construction. No fiber glassing, just a quality 2-part marine waterproofing.

If your current woofer is a 4 ohm, which I would expect if it was the OEM woofer in 2011, then you would get a new 4 ohm and they would be wired in parallel and then connected to the existing speaker wire.

Your original woofer likely has a silver grill. The new ones will come with choice of charcoal, white or chrome and they look different. If you ask around, you might find a kicker dealer thats got spare KM-10 grills so you could match the old to the new. Just note, the cone of the woofers look a little different. Once the install is done, I dont think the difference will be noticeable.

Sdc77
08-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Hi David,
I built mine in 3/4" expanded PVC sheet :

https://vimeo.com/39755136

No issue for years. It's completly water friendly.

4alkings
08-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Got started on the enclosure today. Ordered a second Km-10 and a bass remote control knob. Looking for a good supplier of 2-part epoxy resin. Any suggestions? I'm thinking I'll add pigment to the epoxy to be able to achieve the finish look I want.

4alkings
08-10-2016, 03:12 PM
Here are some pics from the build so far. Box is built (glued, screwed, inside edges sealed with silicone). Went with (2) Kicker 4 ohm subs. Waiting for 2 part epoxy to arrive tomorrow. Will update more later.

4alkings
08-29-2016, 08:32 PM
Here is a pic after apply 2- part epoxy inside and out. After epoxy set, I primed the outside of the box with 3 coats of Aluthane (aluminum impregnated urethane). Bonding and leveling qualities are fantastic. Aluthane is waterproof and UV resistant. Trying to decide if I will leave it as is or top coat it with a urethane paint and clear coat.

4alkings
09-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Took the time this afternoon to pull the original sub and panel. Installed the new sub enclosure with (2) Kicker KM10's. Looks and sounds fantastic to me.

4alkings
09-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Here is a video file. Working on dialing it in.

https://vimeo.com/181721978

markthered
09-07-2016, 03:13 PM
Looking and sounding great, well done!

BrettLee3232
09-09-2016, 02:08 AM
Looks great, I have 4 of those subs in my mondo & they pound! Great box btw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4alkings
09-09-2016, 06:23 PM
Thanks Mark and Brett. Wylietunes gave me some good advice about going with (2) speakers given the space I had. I'm really glad that I did. I'll have the boat out tomorrow for the 1st time since setting the box in it. Looking forward to hearing the difference some more.

I got a little anal with the box trying to make sure it would stand the test of time. The 2 part epoxy resin was a learning experience, and one that could not be rushed. Really glad I cam across the Aluthane primer/paint. Incredible product with amazing adhesion properties.