PDA

View Full Version : Launch 24SSV not draining left rear bag

BADS24SSV
08-08-2016, 05:52 PM
It fills fine but often does not drain on its own. I can hear the pump running. Is this a common problem? What is the fix?

markthered
08-08-2016, 05:55 PM
If the pump is running, but not draining, it's likely the impeller, which can be replaced.

BADS24SSV
08-08-2016, 06:03 PM
It drains sometimes though. And when it does it flows about the same as the other two.

klishchynsky
08-09-2016, 02:32 AM
It's pretty common in a lot of boats if you read up on some other forums. I often have to turn my pump on and off again to prime it. If it's only draining half way, it's an issue with it flowing properly to the pump. If it's an aerator pump by tsunami or rule, they recommend having as little hose as possible going from your ballast to your pump, and mounting them on their side, not upside down like they probably are in your ssv. The run going from your ballast to your pump needs to be completely flat or downhill in order for it to drain consistently.

The aerator pumps that supra and moomba use in their boats don't have "impellers" in them, so you don't have to worry about running them dry or replacing expensive impellers every other season like in the jabsco pumps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BADS24SSV
08-09-2016, 07:12 AM
It's pretty common in a lot of boats if you read up on some other forums. I often have to turn my pump on and off again to prime it. If it's only draining half way, it's an issue with it flowing properly to the pump. If it's an aerator pump by tsunami or rule, they recommend having as little hose as possible going from your ballast to your pump, and mounting them on their side, not upside down like they probably are in your ssv. The run going from your ballast to your pump needs to be completely flat or downhill in order for it to drain consistently.

The aerator pumps that supra and moomba use in their boats don't have "impellers" in them, so you don't have to worry about running them dry or replacing expensive impellers every other season like in the jabsco pumps!

I did read some on this. I will see how it is plumbed and see if I can improve placement. Thanks.

Does anyone have experience making these fixes? Would like to hear results and best practice.

BADS24SSV
08-09-2016, 07:13 AM

I did read some on this. I will see how it is plumbed and see if I can improve placement. Thanks.

Does anyone have experience making these fixes? Would like to hear results and best practice.

MJHKnox
08-09-2016, 05:32 PM
One of my best upgrades was to get rid of the aerator pumps and replace with the impeller style. When you get into surfing, that requires bigger ballast bags, so why not have faster and more efficient pumps?

No regrets on the cost.