PDA

View Full Version : exhaust leak....muffler?

Salty87
02-24-2003, 01:28 PM
This is for my '87 Saltare, I've noticed water from the exhaust trickling into the bilge along the driver's side stringer...I can only imagine exhaust fumes are coming in as well. I run the blower and bilge pump but am ready to fix it. I'll be replacing the riser gaskets as they were leaking slightly, the risers look good themselves.

My question is....what is under the floor in the area around the exhaust mufflers? Are there actually muffler pipes that I can replace or is there some sort of fiberglass section that's leaking? I've seen mufflers for sale on www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NPNMS-030-1000&variation=&aitem=4&mitem=4). I'm trying to avoid floor repairs until absolutely necessary but I really want to fix this leak.

Anyone taken a look under there? Can this be fixed without pulling up sections of floor?

Thanks,
Kevin

ben(riverside)
02-25-2003, 06:58 PM
hi salty.
i completely removed the rear seats gastank rear storage etc etc.i,m rebuilding for a propane conversion..and need to store the propane tanks in the back.
i noticed that i had the same problem.i was lucky because i had to remove the gastank anyway.under the gastank there are rubber exhaust silencers maybe they need to be tighten up a little,mine were very lose.but most likely the problem is on the outside of the transom.to fix it the right way you need to remove the exhaust parts from the transom and put some new Sikaflex-221 Polyurethan Sealant Substrate:or simulair product.
it could also be one of the bolds from the swimplatform leaking.
you can see it when you remove the storage area box,there just a little space behind the gastank and transom.
hope this helps.
ben ...netherlands.

willie
03-02-2003, 02:04 PM
hey I have an 89 sunsport. This past fall i pulled up the floor and replaced it. under the floor I found that there are 4 stringers going across the boat. the 2 that the engine are mounted to and then 2 more that run between the side and the motor mount stringers. the exaust runs just inside the main stringers straight through to the back. the pipes look to be 4inch stainless. under the gas tank are silencers that are clamped onto the pipe. All of this is surounded with foam.
I found that the port side was extreamly wet. My hope is that the silencer was the problem (it was loose). I would try to find your problem sooner rather than later because my stringers were really rotted out and required replacement. I also had to take out all of the foam out to do this. I found the problem all because i had a 4in by 6in soft spot in the floor.
hope this helps
willie

SupraNut
03-02-2003, 07:10 PM
test

SupraNut
03-02-2003, 07:13 PM
Willie,
My '90 Sunsport has the same symptom you describe, a small soft spot in the floor. I am contemplating replacing the floor myself. Any advice or details you can provide would be extremely helpful. Any pictures? What materials did you use and how long did it take you?

ben(riverside)
03-03-2003, 12:41 PM
the silencers on a saltare are not surrounded with foam.you need to remove the gastank to have excess to them.

Salty87
03-03-2003, 03:09 PM
thanks for the replies

my gas tank sits above the floor under the rear ski locker, i've taken it out before to reinforce the swim platform mounts. the exhaust and, from what you guys are saying, the silencers are under there also. i'm hoping to fix this without pulling up flooring....i already know the answer to my stringers (the bolts on the engine mounts don't grab, sniff).

so, i'm trying to figure out where this water is coming in from. new gaskets on my risers will help but it seems like too much water to just be the gaskets. plus, i saw exhaust fumes while i was sticking my head under there once so that should rule gaskets out.

can silencers leak? can the exhaust pipe be changed without taking up flooring?

the water is trickling down the driver-side stringer about 4 inches behind where the pipe angles under the flooring.

thanks alot,
kevin

Salty87
03-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Ben,

did you see i replied to your email about 4 blade props? sorry, i didn't see it in my inbox forever.

have you picked one?

ben(riverside)
03-05-2003, 05:06 AM
nope. i just want to know the dimensions.
how does a 3 blade perform....anyway i will find out next week
ben

Salty87
03-05-2003, 10:06 AM
my 4-blade oj was 13x13 (inches)
the acme 3-blade is model 541 which is 13x12.5 i think
i got my boat with an old 3-blade, not sure what it was cause i got rid of it

the acme wins, no contest. have you checked with www.propellersonline.com?...i know several people who have bought from there, i went straight to acme (www.acmepropellers.com)

dba4life
03-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Is there anyway to get to the exhaust leaks without ripping up the floor?

Salty87
03-06-2003, 12:13 PM
For anyone that's curious....

I spoke with Vince at www.skidim.com, not sure why I waited to ask him. Vince used to own a '90 Comp and has a wealth of information about older Supra's. I strongly encourage supporting them, they have all the parts AND the answers.

Anyway, back to the explanation....

Supra used some sort of out-dated and no longer available silencer back in the day, it attached to the end of the exhaust pipe immediately before exiting thru the transom. Apparently, these are a common spot of failure and can leak.

Long story short, the floor has to come up to get to them.

I'm going to replace my riser gaskets and see how it looks after that. I suspect I'll be using my bilge pump and blower alot this season.

dba4life
03-28-2003, 04:11 PM
I just talked to Vince and ordered some misc parts. He is great and knows a ton about the Comp. Hightly recommended.

Kevin

dba4life
04-14-2003, 10:08 AM
I have the same problem. Water is coming from the exhaust on the rear of the drivers side. I just tracked it this past weekend. It isn't too bad now - so I don't plan to fix it for a while.

And to add to the secondary prop conversation. I put an ACME 3 blade on this weekend - 470. It is awesome. Highly recommended.

Salty87
04-16-2003, 11:31 AM
dba....

check your riser bolts, mine were lose and most of the water i saw was from there. the flow from the exhaust seems gone but my leak is not. my bilge still runs alot.

check the risers for any growth or obstructions, my were fine (never seen saltwater). so i put new gaskets on and tightened 'em down.

so, i'm still looking. i still think it's under the floor.

Traveller
04-16-2003, 03:13 PM
I have a 1984 Supra Comp. In the late 80's we found out that Supra had a defect in there stringer design and we sent our boat back in to have it all corrected.

Also on the exhaust mufflers in the back I replaced mine last year. I pulled the gas tank and found out that when they tightened the boot onto the exhaust muffler they cracked the fiberglass 3" port. Over time it wore out and began to leak.

I also had leaks around port assembly that exits through the hull of the boat. Took some marine sealant and applied it around hole cut in the stern and it corrected the problems.

When it comes to this Supra if you can have a problem I have had it. Don't get me wrong this boat has run great for many years and I still love it.

Hope this info helps.

dba4life
04-17-2003, 09:40 AM
Can anyone tell me how to get the to "riser bolts"? I have no idea what they are. Thanks for the info. Something new to learn about....and maybe get an easy fix.

dba4life
04-17-2003, 09:45 AM
OK - Just did some research and the risers are up front. My exhaust leak seems to be from the back. Way back from under the gas tank. There actually seems to be a small arch in the stringer on both sides of the boat. The water seems to come from there.

Thoughts?

Thanks