PDA

View Full Version : New to boats all together...need advice

wyatthawkins
08-19-2016, 08:09 PM
So. Today I bought a 07supra launch 21v no motor or trans... And the trailer is rusted out. Rest of the boat is clean, and I got it for a deal. My question is beside the factory indmar what else can I put in this..or where can I find that info. I'm currently looking at a 351 Windsor pretty cheap, with a velvet drive trans. Will this work, Will it fit? How can I determine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

skiman_61
08-20-2016, 08:36 AM
The Windsor may prove a bit anemic for that hull. What are you planning to use it for? Wake boarding? I'd review the stock power plants, and try to get something a little closer to that.

When you do get it all together, find a friend who knows boats and take him with you on your first outing(s). We can write advice all day long, but it's best to have an experienced boater with you. Lots of little details that are second nature to most of us, but a novice might not think about. I've been around boats all my life and I'm still learning.

michael hunter
08-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Isnt that a Vdrive.

wyatthawkins
08-20-2016, 09:36 AM
V drive yes. Maily tubing wakeboarding and surfing

leetudor
08-20-2016, 06:53 PM
You will also need a V-Drive to go with that engine and transmission.

wyatthawkins
08-20-2016, 06:55 PM
Well I found a 01 supra legacy. That would get me a more similar power plant. Then I would just need a v drive. I think I can get this legacy for a decent price.

MJHKnox
08-21-2016, 12:41 PM
Why are you looking to go outside of what the factory put in there - like a 325?

Price?

Are you keeping it or reselling it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyatthawkins
08-22-2016, 06:35 AM
I plan on keeping it. Like I said I got this boat for a deal. Yes, price is a big factor, only considering I need the motor, v drive, and trans.

wotan2525
08-22-2016, 10:24 AM
I guess if you are keeping it you can do whatever you want -- but I'd never put a carb'd engine in a modern v-drive. If I were you, I'd build a marine LS. You can find a cheap junkyard pull, install a marine cam and all of the marine accessories and get into it pretty cheap. There's also TONS of after market electronics/parts/accessories/etc. I'm not sure where you'd find a trans and v-drive but the LS should be easy to mate up to whatever you find.

MJHKnox
08-22-2016, 07:14 PM
I guess if you are keeping it you can do whatever you want -- but I'd never put a carb'd engine in a modern v-drive. If I were you, I'd build a marine LS. You can find a cheap junkyard pull, install a marine cam and all of the marine accessories and get into it pretty cheap. There's also TONS of after market electronics/parts/accessories/etc. I'm not sure where you'd find a trans and v-drive but the LS should be easy to mate up to whatever you find.

I agree. That probably came with a fuel injected small block. Build one or buy one put together and get a warranty (but I'm guessing you can build one if you purchased a project like this.
http://www.barrmarine.net/

Here is transmission on CL in the Knoxville area. I've never seen one of these listed on CL. I did not read all the details on it.
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/bpo/5711739325.html

wyatthawkins
08-22-2016, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the link. Yes that's what ive been looking at an aftermarket complete motor witht the same specs..or close to them

wyatthawkins
08-23-2016, 06:53 AM
Can anyone clue me in. Are the indmar assault motors for the 07 21v standard or reverse rotation. And has does anyone have a link to a service manul for this boat, or motor?

MJHKnox
08-23-2016, 10:52 PM
Manuals:
http://www.supraboats.com/downloads

wyatthawkins
08-23-2016, 10:52 PM
Thank you

joe Schnur
08-27-2016, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the link been looking for several days

Staff shooter Dream Shot Archery makers of Twisted Minds bowstrings.
Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL 51#
AXcel Acheive sight. Hamskea rest