PDA

View Full Version : Ballast filling up on their own

BADS24SSV
08-22-2016, 10:02 AM
So lately my ballast bags fill on their own. I thought maybe I was hitting the switches by accident. So I have been very aware of the switches and making sure I did not. Still getting water in the bags as I drive around. It seems to me they are siphoning themselves as I drive through the system. For now I shut off the valve to the main pump till I can figure this out. Anyone know what would cause this or have similar issues?

Plum Nauti
08-22-2016, 10:30 AM
Check your sprinkler valves. They have a manual override to allow the switch to control fill, or to fill manually. They can also stick open and allow air and or water to get in them. New valves help.

trayson
08-22-2016, 12:37 PM
If you still have the stock sprinkler valve ballast system, odds are good that you need new valves. you can get them for cheap at home depot. Or you can look into the Irritrol sprinkler valves when are supposed to be faster and higher flow.

MJHKnox
08-22-2016, 04:11 PM
If you still have the stock sprinkler valve ballast system, odds are good that you need new valves. you can get them for cheap at home depot. Or you can look into the Irritrol sprinkler valves when are supposed to be faster and higher flow.

Or upgrade to Johnson or Jabco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BADS24SSV
08-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Thanks all...I suspected the valves. I may have to look into upgrading over the winter. For now I will keep the valve closed till I use it.

MJHKnox
08-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Thanks all...I suspected the valves. I may have to look into upgrading over the winter. For now I will keep the valve closed till I use it.

If you are interested in the pumps, watch the Wakemakers site for end of the year prices or sales.

The pumps are not that bad, but you have price out the 'other' stuff: new brass fittings, brass valves, larger ballast hose, ballast bag connectors, wire for switches, in-line fuses, etc.

It's a great upgrade. Especially if you like to drill holes in your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BADS24SSV
08-23-2016, 07:07 AM
Not a fan of spending $1k on this...or making my boat swiss cheese.

Anyone look at this pump?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toilet-RV-Trailer-Camper-Marine-Boat12V-Macerator-45-LPM-12GPM-Water-Waste-Pump-/191265510803?hash=item2c88501593:g:4isAAOxyMZVTj9c n&vxp=mtr

Plum Nauti
08-23-2016, 10:32 AM
The new sprinkler valves will do the trick. I took mine apart and it had all sorts of crusty stuff around the edges of the diaphragm which was causing them to stick. You will see a good deal of improvement after that. Not the fastest things to fill up though. I am thinking of upgrading the main pump to a Jabsco. My sister in law had a centurion, and that was one bad little ballast pump.

BADS24SSV
08-23-2016, 10:58 AM
thanks Rodney. Is there a PN or best place to get them? I have one spare but may need to look at all three as all of them took on water this past weekend.

Plum Nauti
08-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Home Depot and Lowes have them.

Plum Nauti
08-23-2016, 11:06 AM
I think they are just the 1" valves. They are only like $15. I'll have to grab a part number off the one i bought. Orbit is the brand