PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Warning Light

ACF
10-03-2007, 09:14 AM
My 1988 Comp has a "Fuel Warning" light that comes on when the fuel level drops below 1/2 tank. It doesn't stay on, just comes on once or twice. I don't have a manual on this boat, so am not sure what this light is warning me about. If it is just to tell me I have used half my gas, well I would notice that anyway by looking at the guage. Does anyone know what this "idiot light" means ?

OUI
10-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Tha't exactly what it is, an "idiot light" to warn you that your gas is getting low. Mine turns on at 1/4 of a tank, but it stays on until I add more gas. Yours may have an intermitent short that turns it on breifly. What happens when you get below a 1/4 tank? Does it come on and stay on?

ACF
10-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Don't know what happens when I get down to 1/4. Last weekend was the first time the ole gal has been in a lake in 12 years. I didn't get to burn that much gas yet. The water was rough, and I am thinking the gas just sloshed enough to let the sender dip down past 1/4 long enough for the stupid light to come on, then it went off. I plan a lot of lake time next week, so will keep an eye on it.

This is a 1988 Comp. It only had 191 hours on it, when I picked it up last July. Now it has 195. It took some clean up and tune up, but it is in almost new condition.

88SupraComp
10-12-2007, 12:53 PM
My 88 comp does the same thing, its annoying. I was under the dash last year replacing a fuse box button and saw that the previous owner cut the wire to the buzzer. I am always freaked out when I see any light come on the dash. So when I see the fuel light on when I am below 1/2 tank, I get very annoyed. I am not about to start replacing fuel level sensors or anything like that in an old boat. It runs great other then that!!

IndyMatt
10-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Hey Everyone... New website looks great!! I just have to say that Skiers Choice has never really caught on to an accurate fuel monitoring system. My 04 Sunsport with a 29 gal fuel tank thinks its empty at 19 gal (by guage). You can see the tank through the rudder adjustment access & there is a significant amount of gas left in the tank when the guage reads 'E'. I ran my boat for almost three days on empty. Its just really annoying because we are overfilling (more than necessary) the boats just to live by an inaccurate guage. I love my Supra but my previous Searay & Dad's Mastercraft dont seem to have this problem. Hey R&D; Get out of the smoking breakroom and solve this problem!!!