PDA

View Full Version : 2015 SE Starboard tank will not fill

09-08-2016, 04:02 PM
Hello

I am new to this forum. I have a 2015 SE450 with an issue filling the starboard tank. I suspect it is loosing prime as it just sits and runs and runs. I have tried filling under way which occasionally works, I have used an external ballast pump to reprime system or I just end up filling it with this pump. I have pulled the pump to check hose connections they are all good. Does this pump wear out? Is it a vane pump similar to a fuel transfer or oil change pump (dumb question, of course it is) I mean a reversible rubber or plastic pump head? Would it solve problem by lubricating the pump with silicone for O rings or something similar. The boat gets used quite a bit, sometime several times a day, also fairly mechanically qualified.

Thanks

MJHKnox
09-08-2016, 07:22 PM
If you have a Jabsco or Johnson Pumps, it's pretty simple to review the inside.
Take off the brass plate, turn it on, make sure it's getting power and spinning. Make sure it's not stuck. Lots of issues with stuck or bad impellers, then blown fuses.
If the pump is getting power, there is an O-Ring and the Silcone Impeller to check.
You can lube the impeller. I use Vasoline in the winter to store them.
Do not over-tighten the small brass screws when putting it back together.

I got one season from the standard black impeller before I purchased the upgraded ones from WakeWakers.

I would also check the valve in the hull (fully open) and the hose to the pump for blockage or crimps.

Otherwise, make sure the stainless-steel connections are tight on the hose fittings.

MJHKnox
09-08-2016, 10:26 PM
Once your pump is filling and draining, there is the timer to set in your computer settings.
There is a post on here on how others have done it. Basically, if you are filling 1100s and you boat is set to 750s, people are manually timing the fill time.
Once the water is coming out of the vent, they know the time to fill.

I'm not sure how they are set from the factory.

09-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Thank you for the response with this issue, the pump is turning both directions and will pump water once it is primed both in and out. Problem is once boat sits over night it looses prime and the pump does not produce enough pressure to bring water thru the valve up to the pump and then to the tank, not a problem draining as when tank is full it's above pump. I was hoping I would avoid pulling the pump as boat is under warranty but it's easier doing that than putting it on our trailer (which is in storage as we keep the boat on a hoist) and take it in for this issue. Timers work great on the boat. I'll post what I find.

MJHKnox
09-12-2016, 12:55 PM
I know a friend that had an o-ring issue on 1 of 3 pumps. Drove him nuts. Air was entering the system.

For the mount, is the pump facing up or down?

If you are draining, when you are done, try to flip the switch the other direction (to fill) for a second.
See if that helps the priming next time. The impeller will be going in the correct direction.