PDA

View Full Version : Oil change

CJ2etc
10-06-2016, 04:15 PM
Bought a 2012 Sunsport 22V this year. Had an older inboard for a number of years and always did my own service but wanted to take it to the dealer to have it winterized and get the oil changed just so I didn't screw something up. Winterize engine is $180, winterize ballast is $75, oil change is $225!! Guy said it is so much because it uses a "special oil". Just looked at the Indmar website and it says to use Penzoil Marine 15W40, which is only $25/gallon. Why on earth would it cost $225 for an oil change? Filter can't cost much. Is it a bitch to get to or something?

Think I might just do it myself afterall. I use synthetic in all my other stuff. Anyone have a synthetic they would recommend?

Thanks
Craig

MJHKnox
10-06-2016, 04:45 PM
Try the search on oil or oil change. There are threads out there for that topic. You will find some different opinions.

There is both older and newer motors out there.

On my 07, the remote filter is easy to get to. There is a drain and line on the bottom of the oil pan to remove the old oil.

Pretty easy process:
1) Get the motor hot
2) Remove the oil. Most people use some type of pump to get the old stuff out.
3) Remove filter. I place a bag under the filter in case of any spillage. Make sure the gasket comes off with the old filter.
4) Add new filter and oil.
5) I run my motor and top-off if needed.

Syn Oil - not for me. Been using Shell Rotella 15w40 every 50 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCalPR
10-06-2016, 08:02 PM
It takes a long time because it takes forever to drain.

Don't like the price, do it yourself...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

docdrs
10-06-2016, 11:38 PM
Buy a $50 hand pump oil sucker and it takes all of 15 minutes to do an oilchange. No special oil, shell rotella like above and a 7-15$ filter. Not rocket science

NorCalPR
10-06-2016, 11:49 PM
Buy a $50 hand pump oil sucker and it takes all of 15 minutes to do an oilchange. No special oil, shell rotella like above and a 7-15$ filter. Not rocket science
So... go do it yourself then [emoji17]

michael hunter
10-07-2016, 06:28 AM
This is your end of the year service special. Sounds to me like you need a new dealer.

CJ2etc
10-07-2016, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the responses. I have an oil evacuator. Been doing my own winterizing, oil changes and all on my old inboard for years but a little leery of missing something on the new boat with all the pumps and bags and all so thought it would be a good idea to take it to the dealer this time but am stunned that a basic oil change is $225. Thought there had to be something special about it to justify that charge but it doesn't seem so. Is there a drain on the bottom of the engine or will the evacuator take out most of the oil without going to the trouble? Manual says to use a QuickDrain hose but I can't seem to find what that is anywhere.

Engine Nut
10-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Look for the quick drain oil drain hose to be clipped to one of the engine lift rings. The clip is a shower curtain hook. Should be easy to find.

MJHKnox
10-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Look for the quick drain oil drain hose to be clipped to one of the engine lift rings. The clip is a shower curtain hook. Should be easy to find.

Dealer is good for peace of mind, but not for $225, ouch.

Yep, the shower curtain hook is usually hooked on the the front of the motor.
Two wrenches needed, one to hold the line, one to unscrew the brass cap.
Mine fits through the transom plug. I made a battery pump with hoses to attach to the end-fitting. Pump drains it fast.

When I did not have the pump, the hot motor made the oil flow, but it was slow. A cold motor will take a lot longer - never tried that.
You will need another section of hose (like you can buy at Lowes or HomeDep) to attach to the end of the oil line, into a bucket onto the ground.

docdrs
10-10-2016, 01:37 AM
Takes 20 mins for oil change, 60 mins to drain block,muffler,jpipe,heater,vdrive,strainer,and capture the water in my shopvac. Then 20 mins to suck up a few gallons from post vdrive pipe, recapture from block drain plugs and reinstal all fittings. 15 mins to run antifreeze thru ballast pumps. 20 mins to fog all 8 cylinders thru spark plugs. 10 mins to disconnect and remove batteries. 2hrs 15 mins....... takes me longer to take to dealer, come home , go back to dealer and bring boat back home.......its all about the time for me ......and knowing that its done right...... now do the math and your paying Dr.s fees and a Dr. Isnt doing it....... ranting

plus , i check motor mounts, prop shaft bolts , accurate alignment and fluids.

OMG, I JUST CLICKED MY MARINAS REQUEST FOR THE ABOVE INCLUDING IMPELLER CHANGE FOR A MERE $1460 ........ holy smokes

ChillinOj
10-10-2016, 11:35 AM
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?5025-Winterizing-Link-Best-Post-with-Pics

This sticky thread at the top I found was really helpful. Obviously you're not going to do the winterizing steps, but it shows all of the steps for the annual maintenance on a v-drive, and great pictures for the oil change.

4alkings
10-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Jumping on this thread.
1. I've seen many people recommend Shell Rotella 15w-40 oil. What I've seen in the stores is a diesel motor oil. Is this what is being used?
2. What do you recommend for oil filters? Owners manual calls for Pennzoil PZ-52. Is there a Fram or AC Delco equivalent that is recommended?

BTW, my boat is 2011 Launch 242 with 5.7 340 hp.

NorCalPR
10-10-2016, 07:39 PM
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4106983/Re:_15w-40_in_my_boat,_is_dies

Diesel oil is dual rated.

Jetlink
10-10-2016, 08:09 PM
What do you recommend for oil filters? Owners manual calls for Pennzoil PZ-52. Is there a Fram or AC Delco equivalent that is recommended?

I would not use Fram, I have a Ford block in mine so I use Motorcraft filters. Your block is just a GM 350 so any filter that is made for a GM 350 should do just fine I would think.

MJHKnox
10-10-2016, 08:13 PM
It's hard to search using my phone and this Tapatalk App, but if you get on here with a PC, there are some threads with the cross ref #s. Search for oil or oil change. Somewhere on here there is a thread of #s from 6-8 different companies.

I'm sure google will do the same thing for filter #s.

I got a deal on some Mobil 1 filters a few years ago, so I stocked up. I've also used Wix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leetudor
10-10-2016, 09:13 PM
Pennzoil PZ45 used on all 5.7L Models and all models with remote filters.

Note: L96, LSA and LS3 Models above S/N 164786 use Pennzoil PZ167.

Equivalent Filters

Pennzoil PZ52
AC PF1218
Fram PH8873
Mobil 1 M1-111
NAPA 7099
WIX 57099