PDA

View Full Version : Towing

selle92
11-15-2007, 06:41 PM
I had a truck with Class III hitch and towed my 91 Mariah no sweat. I just ended up selling the truck and got a new vehicle with no hitch.

My question is this. I believe the Mariah nets about 2800lbs. I'm assuming that would be minus fuel?

Can anyone fill me in on this. So, say at class II hitch has a towing capacity of 3800#.. with a tongue wight of 380lbs or whatever. How does one know a tongue weight? Also, if the boat is 2800lbs- add fuel..I don't know what that's at now, but well under 3800lbs.. Does the trailer also need to be included in that 3800lb towing weight??

I'm just trying to figure out what class hitch I'd need. The boat gets towed about 2 miles in the spring to get put in, and the same in the fall for storage.

if anyone can enlighten me.. it would be appreciated.

if this helps.. the trailer is a dual axel. Does that lighten the tongue load at all?

From what I was trying to gather on the net, a class II can tow 3800. However, also say the trailer should be less than 18ft and usually single axel (small to medium trailers). For larger, a III is recommened, but that is for 5000lb trailers. I just don't think I need that much.. and also may not be able to put a III on, as dealer was telling me a II is what they have for what we purchased.

any help would be appreciated.

IndyMatt
11-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Typically spec weights are given in 'Dry Weights' and do not include fuel, oil, ballast etc. Typically not a huge difference but somthing to consider, as well as the weight of the trailer. The fact that it is a tandem axle trailer does reduce tongue weight. I believe the rating on my direct drive is approximately 200lbs (TW) but it seems lighter as I have lifted it a few times to get it lined up with the ball. Just out of curiosity, what type of vehicle are you towing with? What is the $$ difference in the II vs the III. I realize your just doing some short towing, but all things considered if your going to the expense of a new hitch, it may be better to aim a little higher, just to cover future possibilities and applications.

IndyMatt
11-15-2007, 10:11 PM
BTW... I would research other installers besides your dealer. U-Haul has done a few installs for me and have done a good job. They should have a better selection and would probably be more reasonable on pricing. Never hurts to shop. Your dealer may steer you clear of a better hitch due to ratings. IE; They may have limitations as to the hitch they would install on certain vehicles, even though it would never be your intention to max out the capabilities.

selle92
11-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks.

Its actually a mini van (Grand Sxt)... I know, I know... :oops:

problem was the stow n go feature.. Dealer recommened the Class II, and would suffice- but was different than most hitches because of this vans feature in the rear. I did go bigger with a class III on my truck, for reasons just as you stated, but it probably wouldn't have been recommened to go much over the weight of a II with my tacoma anyways. But, agreed.. if adding it and going thru the hassles and expense, why not go bigger just in case.

I don't know if they make a III that will fit the van with stow n go. I guess, if the II actually pulls 3800lb, I should be ok regardless. Don't have ballast and all that jazz in the boat, but fuel and extra things would add some weight to it. I think all in all, I'd still be under the max load. Just didn't know if the tongue weight would be a considerable factor to go with the III over the II... even if pulling a lighter so called load. I think the tongue weight is higher on the III's as well...

Thanks for the info. I'll keep researching since I have until spring before I'll pull the boat again.

I agree the dealer may not be the cheapest option.. need to research this a bit more.. just thought I'd shoot out the question for anyone who's gone thru it already.

appreciate the info.

jerry
01-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Your trailer is going to weigh pretty close to 1000#....if not MORE. So you'll likely be over the rating for that hitch. Not trying to alram you, but I'd be cautious about using a class II hitch on a boat that size. As with most things, I'm sure there's a safety margin factored into their rating system....but it's still a liability if something ever goes wrong.