PDA

View Full Version : First try at wakesurfing

Stillski
03-27-2017, 12:24 PM
18013Our first try at wakesufing was a success, we all got up first try and two (kids) out of three went ropeless! I researched how to build a wave, built a suck gate and here's the wave. Since we've never tried it or been around anyone else doing it, I realized I don't know how good or bad my wave is. Judging from my son the longboarder, we've got a pretty good one. Any opinions from the experienced?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKcz4IBDHgI

Stillski
03-27-2017, 01:54 PM
I meant to post this in Wakesurfing, can I move it or is that something a moderator has to do?

MJHKnox
03-27-2017, 03:00 PM
Mod has to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJHKnox
03-27-2017, 03:03 PM
Looks real good for your first time out.

If you add more weight to the front, it will get longer. But you may loose push.

What are you running on weight?

Stillski
03-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Most of the time I was full, two 800s in the stern lockers and 800 in the front locker. The video shows my son getting a little too far back and then catching back up a couple of times, I assumed that meant the wave was pretty long. It also seemed like it didn't change much with less weight in back. I had to bump the PP up to 12.2, plate down to get it to take that good shape. I've never calibrated the PP though so it may not be that fast. Lots to tweak!

4alkings
03-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Nice looking wave. That's really nice for first time out. I'm a little jealous that you are able to surf this early in the season. Temps have not moderated enough here yet, and I'm chomping at the bit.

SWELL Wakesurf
03-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Congrats! Looks Great!

MJHKnox
03-27-2017, 06:13 PM
Most of the time I was full, two 800s in the stern lockers and 800 in the front locker. The video shows my son getting a little too far back and then catching back up a couple of times, I assumed that meant the wave was pretty long. It also seemed like it didn't change much with less weight in back. I had to bump the PP up to 12.2, plate down to get it to take that good shape. I've never calibrated the PP though so it may not be that fast. Lots to tweak!

The big items to play with:

Speed - 10.5 to 12.5 is running range.

Weight - try the opposite side at 75/85% with the surf side 100%. Usually 800-1100# are good for the surf side. Sounds like you are with your family, so I wound not worry about getting too much weight.

Shifting weight - play around with weight in the front.

Suck Gate - I've always tried to keep that as far back as possible. When underway, take a look to see how it's pushing water.

Sounds like you are AHEAD of most people on the forum.

I've seen boats out, but I just noticed the first wake-boat backing down the ramp on Saturday. High 70s in Knoxville. Signs of Summer.

Stillski
03-27-2017, 06:17 PM
18014 My Suck Gate stayed on well, I went with design to help hold it on. Inadvertent testing by letting the life jacket tied to the tether fly out and drag in the water, and then the 35 MPH I forgot to take it off speed test! Never moved.

MJHKnox
03-27-2017, 06:57 PM
18014 My Suck Gate stayed on well, I went with design to help hold it on. Inadvertent testing by letting the life jacket tied to the tether fly out and drag in the water, and then the 35 MPH I forgot to take it off speed test! Never moved.

Do you attach it to the boat with a cord/tether line?

Or use the bouy-ball if it flies off?

Stillski
03-27-2017, 09:25 PM
The bouy is attached to the tether line. First i had a life jacket tied to it, found the bouy on the beach!