PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a V6

hanski
12-16-2007, 11:01 AM
I am looking to get a new/used vehicle that is a little easier on gas in the off season. Does anyone have any suggestions on a V6 that would do the job?

Aslo how do you find the exact weight, tongue weight of your boat and trailer?

1998 Legacy with a boatmate trailer

OUI
12-17-2007, 11:27 AM
I have a V6 Trail Blazer and it tows my Saltare just fine. Check with Supra and your trailer manufacturer to find out weights. To see how much tongue weight you have lay a 2 X 4 on your bathroom scale and then put your trailer jack on the 2 X 4 so the jack is supporting all the weight.

dndsam
12-19-2007, 07:32 PM
I have a 1999 Legacy which is pulled behind a 2002 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 liter V6 and towing package. Included in the towing package is a posi-trac rear end, 3.73 gears and a transmission cooler. I wouldn't even dream of a using even a small V8. I will buy another 4.0L V6 when the time comes. I have used a V6 without a towing package and it worked but I think it was too hard on the tranny and would cause it to get hot. Nothing an auxillary tranny cooler shouldn't fix.

jerry
01-22-2008, 02:36 PM
I am looking to get a new/used vehicle that is a little easier on gas in the off season. Does anyone have any suggestions on a V6 that would do the job?

Aslo how do you find the exact weight, tongue weight of your boat and trailer?

1998 Legacy with a boatmate trailer

You need to check it with a scale that has enough capacity. Your particular combo' will probably have in the neighborhood of 250 to 300#. Keep in mind that the tongue weight will change with an empty and full tank.

The Legacy is a fairly light boat and I think you'll find a decent sized V6 will fit most of your needs....but it also depends on the terrain that you're towing in. That same V6 that works fine for towing your package in the flatlands of OK or NE may be a little underpowered here in the mountains of east TN.....not to mention the much larger Rockies out west.