PDA

View Full Version : 87 SunSport V-Drive Conversion

chavez
04-21-2017, 07:49 AM
about a year and a half ago i bought a 87 sunsport in rough condition. The stringers needed to be replaced and the guy i bought it from did all the demo work for me before i bought it. Now that I have a little free time i'm going to hit this project pretty hard. I'm planning on converting the tank to a v-drive and replacing the stringer of course. This will be my first boat rebuild. any tips?? i'll post pictures as the project progresses. 18052

michael hunter
04-21-2017, 05:45 PM
Only tip I can give you is to sell the boat and go and buy a Vdrive boat . For all the time and expense you will have in the 87 you will have more than enough money to buy a ready to go Vdrive.

Milliken37
04-21-2017, 08:21 PM
Only tip I can give you is to sell the boat and go and buy a Vdrive boat . For all the time and expense you will have in the 87 you will have more than enough money to buy a ready to go Vdrive.

I'll second that! Sure isn't worth the work and the added maintenance/ issues you'll have to workout along the way. If you're looking for a project look for a V-drive with issues for a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooose
04-26-2017, 09:58 PM
It's your time and money, if you have enough of them both...then go for it. Figuring out the geometry/angles for the mounts to have everything line up with the prop shaft would be pretty challenging.

wotan2525
04-27-2017, 10:59 AM
It's your time and money, if you have enough of them both...then go for it. Figuring out the geometry/angles for the mounts to have everything line up with the prop shaft would be pretty challenging.

I don't think so. Start from the bottom. Mount the strut, insert the shaft and coupler, align the v-drive to that and fabricate stringers/mounts around that position. Then align the engine to the transmission in the same way. I don't think it would be that tough, but I do agree that after the expense (and difficulty) of sourcing the parts and putting the work in..... you would be better off buying a v-drive.