PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring Overnight

klishchynsky
06-01-2017, 12:25 AM
Hey Everyone,

So heres my questions. We are heading on a house boating trip and I want to bring my 2001 supra Launch ssv. Has anyone had any luck tying to shore overnight? If so, how? Or is it better to anchor it out a ways and let it float? Just worrying about storms picking up and filling with water, or getting knocked around.

michael hunter
06-01-2017, 07:09 AM
I have done it but always floating in about 3 feet of water . One anchor out in the water and one line tied to a tree on shore.

korey
06-01-2017, 01:06 PM
I do a lot of both boat-in camping, and house boating out of my Saltare.

The shore varies from soft sand to rocky on Laurel Lake and Cumberland here in KY, so I always leave it floating in a foot or so of water at the bow, tied to a tree on shore and anchor the stern to keep it off shore and the lines tight. If I'm in an area likely to be busy in the morning, I'll anchor it bow-out so the pointy end gets any wakes. I set it out a little deeper if I go this route to keep the shiny parts underneath further from the rocks. The bow-out method makes it a little easier to wade to the boat and clean off muddy feet on the swim platform. I usually cover it overnight too.

When house boating, we usually just use the houseboat as a dock and tie up to it.. a ~50-75 houseboat leaves plenty deep water to maneuver an inboard boat near the stern. Best practice is usually houseboat bow into the shore (pretty hard aground), lines from the mid cleats 45 degrees out to something sturdy, as low to the ground as possible (banks can be steep around here), then 2 lines from the bow corner cleats out to the same shore anchor points (so a much lower angle). The bow lines are more to keep the houseboat bow from moving side to side, while the mid lines are equally to keep it ashore and from swinging. If bad weather pops up sometimes I'll move the mid ropes back to the furthest rear cleats on the houseboat (ends up trapping the supra in) to be sure the houseboat stays put in the wind. I've had nightmares about the houseboat coming loose, swinging against shore in the wind and having it's way with my Supra... Bad picture and messy boat, but this shows a little:
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o588/kamorris2/Mobile%20Uploads/20160812_180941_zpszs8ulypb.jpg

If towing a smaller boat with the houseboat, I prefer to tow from the side. It allows you to tie up nice and firm and not worry about your skiboat rear ending the houseboat if you need to stop abruptly. This does usually require a little experience with how much lead your boat "likes". Also, some real trust in your tow line - you can imagine what an aluminum houseboat hull could do to your fiberglass beauty if the bow line breaks in this configuration...
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o588/kamorris2/Mobile%20Uploads/20160728_145716_zpsf847bhzb.jpg

Plum Nauti
06-02-2017, 10:45 AM
I would say this is the usual way to do it. Same as above[emoji115]
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170602/3b86772f9dab22c38f2f27f31df8c96d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170602/16a2e13f1fef60f5c42a7c91f84d9a57.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170602/146a71c817e969bf9f685a72c9227db6.jpg

klishchynsky
06-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Thanks Guys. I See most people towing their boats right behind their houseboats. As long as you don't stop too suddenly it should be fine I suppose. I've heard stories of peoples boats sinking in the lake when big storms come up. Does anyone every leave their accessories on so their bilge float kicks in if it needs to?

Plum Nauti
06-02-2017, 05:59 PM
The bilge pump is wired to have constant power, as long as you have your main power on (perko switch). This allows it to come on automatically when needed. I leave mine in "on" while on the water.

CJD
06-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Sorry, just had to include this:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=35007255

Somewhere out there is the actual video of the event...

MJHKnox
06-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Thanks Guys. I See most people towing their boats right behind their houseboats. As long as you don't stop too suddenly it should be fine I suppose. I've heard stories of peoples boats sinking in the lake when big storms come up. Does anyone every leave their accessories on so their bilge float kicks in if it needs to?

Downpours and a little wind with should not hurt anything. Make sure you have a proper anchor and chain. When mine is stuck in this southern mud, it's locked in place
The posts above mention the correct methods to tie the boat when going onshore.
If you are nervous, bring and extra anchor for the bow.
I leave a little slack in the lines to let the boat move with any waves/wakes. Not enough it can turn-sideways.

If you are not sure about the bilge pump, if you have your boat in the driveway, put a garden hose in the bilge and make sure the pump/float-switch is working. Plus, you will have a clean bilge after that. My boat is wired the pump comes on with the battery switch in the on or off location.

scottschmitt
06-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Also, I think I read that if you have a dripless system on your drive shaft, you need to tow with the boat in gear so the prop doesn't spin and heat up the packing set up. During normal boating, water circulates into the dripless system. When towing, the waterpump isn't moving water and if the prop spins the shaft gets hot. Someone can correct if this is bunk.

trayson
06-05-2017, 04:20 PM
You could certainly use the anchor buddy on the anchor line so you have a little stretch to let the boat move a little with waves. it's also GREAT when you anchor and have a line to the shore, because you can pull the boat into you in the morning and then it'll stretch back into the deeper water. Clip the anchor buddy to the shore line with a float and you'll be able to re-use your spot.

I like the "shore spike" because you can do it one handed when setting the shore line. It does look a little awkward like you're whacking off setting the thing, but it works great.

I have a box anchor. No chain.

jzelt
06-07-2017, 04:39 PM
So when we houseboat, I tie the boat to the side like above with bow out.

We do cover it at night. You will need to pay attention to how the water runs off the roof to the sides. In a heavy downpour for 1/2 hr, I could see how it could swamp a boat. Watch where the wakeboard racks line up. If a heavy wake comes by, you can bet your boat is going to be rocked (and the houseboat stays stationary) and you will need to make sure it is adjusted so that the forks don't smack the side. (Ours always line up perfect under the sliding board and open back deck).

When we tow, I tie a ~50 ft rope to the back rail with a clip on it. I hook to the bow eye of the ski boat and go. When we are going to stop, we bring the houseboat down slow and someone goes to the back to make sure the ski boat stops and pushes it out to float.

We also tie our lines/fenders/bumpers to the side of the houseboat so there is no messing around when we come back. Just tie up and be done.

We tie the houseboat to shore with lines first, then bring the ski boat in and tie up. And reverse when leaving the shore. Ski boat drives out, houseboat backs out then we clip it up.

Enjoy!

jzelt
06-07-2017, 04:52 PM
You can see the blue line off the back. (Over the head of the swimmer and black outboard motor). That is tied to the bow eye of the boat.

This setup has actually saved us from some potential disasters. When the wind would gust and we were in the water with some little ones jumping and swimming, the boats would drift like a sail and can actually gain pretty quick speed. We were able to grab the line and either get on the towed boat or hold on and ride till it stopped/slowed down.

At the least, tie a line off the back and attach a raft to float it out while you are in the deep water.

You can see our buddy's boat tied to the back. Similar to what we do at night, except with Supra turned bow out.

Thanks for making me look thru old pics. Didn't think they were on this computer anymore.

Blackntan90
06-12-2017, 05:18 AM
jzelt, Raystown lake?

jzelt
06-14-2017, 09:50 AM
Cave Run Lake, Morehead KY. We have tied to a houseboat at Raystown before for the weekend, but only as visitors.
We stay the full week at Cave Run.
Go down Fri night and stay in hotel Sat and Sun and boat during the day, then pick up the houseboat on Mon-Fri and then hotel half way on way home.

korey
06-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Hey, that's in my territory! I didn't know they rented houseboats on Cave Run - I don't spend much time there, too "stumpy" for me!