PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish condition leading to no start = 2 hr tow home

Zkdk3000
06-05-2017, 10:53 AM
2002 Supra Launch SS dd

Put boat in water first crank fire up die immediately.
Second crank fire up and stay on.
Run boat through 10mph zone for 20 minutes followed by a hot lap around the lake then to party cove.
Boat sits off while we hang for an hour.
Time to leave. Fire up and die immediately x6.
Seventh time as soon as it fires I throw it in gear and does not die BUT starts surging without touching accelerator.
Cruise 5mph out of cove surge eventually goes away.
Time to wakeboard. Rider in water ready for tow, hit the throttle to desired position, sluggish and then suddenly catches and takes off. Does this for half an hour then finally dies and won't fire at all. When the motor dies or surges I can hear a loud sucking sound as if the motor is being snuffed. Put three cold beers around the fuel pump to see if maybe I was vapor locked? No dice. While being towed checked wires, cap, vacuum lines. All look good. Started it a few times and she ran for 10 seconds then snuff sound and dead.
Rest of tow didn't mess with it (about an hr), sat at dock an additional hour, time to load boat.
Fires right up, no surge or snuff/choke, idled fine and didn't hesitate or give any issues. Loaded boat up and left.

Thoughts??
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zkdk3000
06-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Also motor is throttle body injected. Both fuel pumps and plugs brand new. IAC also new.

leetudor
06-05-2017, 07:40 PM
Take you take a fuel sample to check for water?

Zkdk3000
06-05-2017, 10:32 PM
I've not taken a sample. Does it matter what part of the system I draw it from?

Zk

leetudor
06-06-2017, 07:07 AM
You would want to pull it from the tank.

Zkdk3000
06-06-2017, 07:58 AM
You would want to pull it from the tank.

Thank you, I will try this. If I do find that there is water in the tank what's the next step?

Zk

leetudor
06-06-2017, 08:12 AM
Drain and refill.

Zkdk3000
06-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Drain and refill.

Never had to drain a tank, what's the easiest way? Can I just pull the fuel supply line and let it gravity drain out the bottom of boat?

leetudor
06-07-2017, 08:30 PM
I use an 12v fuel pump.

jzelt
06-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Depending on your last fill up and how much fuel is left, you could get access to the fuel level sending unit and siphon the gas from there.
I have one from Rural King or Harbor freight, Tractor Supply etc that I have added additional hose length to from Lowes.
Depending on how much water you find, you could add Seafoam or put it into your vehicle diluted with good fuel.

Siphon Pic http://cdn.overtons.com/product/020/20769_L1.jpg

Zkdk3000
06-14-2017, 11:31 AM
Depending on your last fill up and how much fuel is left, you could get access to the fuel level sending unit and siphon the gas from there.
I have one from Rural King or Harbor freight, Tractor Supply etc that I have added additional hose length to from Lowes.
Depending on how much water you find, you could add Seafoam or put it into your vehicle diluted with good fuel.

Siphon Pic http://cdn.overtons.com/product/020/20769_L1.jpg

I'm going to run out and buy this from freight for future issues. Took sample of fuel and it looked good. Got the boat started with starter fluid so I knew for sure it was fuel related. Right before I was getting ready to drain tank I decided to do a physical check of the fuel lines and pumps. Turns out low pressure pump wires were backwards. Not even sure how the boat ran as long as it did that way but took boat out last weekend not a single issue. Talked to Larry engine nut and he agreed sounded like vapor lock so I went ahead and wrapped the lines in heat shield and I'm running a fuel line cooler as well. Works great. Thanks for input!

Zk