PDA

View Full Version : 86 to 92 Supra Boats

cementheadjeff
03-12-2003, 08:11 PM
Thinking of buying a Supra boat in the 1987 to 1992 year range. I like the boats very much but have heard a few horror stories about structural problems with Supras of this vintage. Please comment. Thanks Jeff.

Dan Schoenberger
03-13-2003, 03:23 PM
87 Comp, no problems to speak of.

Salty87
03-17-2003, 03:56 PM
i have an 87 saltare, also no problems you wouldn't expect to find in a 16 year old boat.

how well the previous owner(s) took care of it is the real question.

87sunsport
05-07-2003, 10:15 AM
87 sunsport and haven't had any problems. Had it in 2-3ft waves on Lake Huron, unexpected wind, and it handled fine.

skidad
05-10-2003, 10:38 AM
I believe horror stories exist with many different manufacturers of boats of varying vintages. The problem stories always come to the surface and when this is all you read, it makes it seem as if all boats have problems.
As mentioned in an earlier posting, it all depends on prior Owner, maintenance, storage (inside or outdoors), how much trailering, how many different drivers, waxing, covering and many more factors. It takes time and money to keep all boats maintained well.
The Supra is an extremely distinctive boat and if you pay attention to details and do your homework, you will be rewarded. We looked for quite a while and are glad we did.
Lastly, it's great to actually have this site as a means of sharing stories, good or bad!

gm
05-11-2003, 08:20 PM
I just got lucky when I purchased my 89 comp. I found one with low hours and checked out the engine thoroughly. I heard the stories I think you are referring to. The story I heard was that for a few years in the mid 80's Supra was bought out or something happened to let their quality slip. I believe the 89 to 92 models were unaffected. On the other hand it might have just been rumors. I can say that for me the 89 comp has been a great choice. It sounds tough on the water and holds its own with any of the new boats out there. The Supra's seem to be a better value for the money compared to the ski nautiques, etc. Some of the main brand ones seemed to be overpriced. I knew how much money I wanted to spend and then looked for boats in that price range. Turned out to be the 89 comp. I got mine for 8,700 last summer. Was very clean with 855 hours. I just saw another 89 comp on the water last weekend and he paid around 10,000 for his 89 comp. Only difference was his was open bow and mine was closed. I did have to drive from Missouri to Austin, TX to get it, but there are deals out there.
goodluck, greg