PDA

View Full Version : Stripes

tbone
03-17-2003, 02:55 PM
I have two stripes down the side of my 91 comp. I would like to remove the stripes. I dont think they are painted on. What is the best way to remove these stripes and will it mess up the gel coat?

87 Sunsport
03-17-2003, 05:23 PM
I used a hair dryer. Anthony from Supra gave me advice before I started. They peeled right off so I didn't need to use acetone.

dndsam
03-17-2003, 08:28 PM
A hair dryer should work well to soften up the decal and adhesive. If there is any residue left from the decal, I have used lighter fluid to take it off without any harm to the gel coat. Hope this helps.

tbone
03-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Wonder if this will leave a darker color where the stripes where?

Brian Raymond
03-18-2003, 11:43 PM
Tbone, there will definately be some fading of the original gel, and yes it will be noticable when the old pin is removed. I would verify that you can get all the hull decals first, peel them all, and have the entire hull buffed and glazed. Install the new hull decals, it is like owning a new boat. Check with your dealer for the pricing and availability of a hull decal kit before removing.Brian Raymond

Brian Raymond
03-18-2003, 11:44 PM
Tbone, there will definately be some fading of the original gel, and yes it will be noticable when the old pin is removed. I would verify that you can get all the hull decals first, peel them all, and have the entire hull buffed and glazed. Install the new hull decals, it is like owning a new boat. Check with your dealer for the pricing and availability of a hull decal kit before removing.Brian Raymond