PDA

View Full Version : Help needed wiring tower speakers

phenom_1819
02-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Hello,

I bought a new 2007 22SSV about a month ago and have been lurking for some time... so I guess this is me introducing myself. I will get some real pictures and more info up about my new boat when I get it pulled out of storage and get some photos of my own... but until then, I'm doing projects and need help.

I'm wiring tower speakers, and cannot get the wiring to run through the base of the tower. I've tried using the string & vac method, the fish-tape method, but neither has worked... The hole through the fiberglass seems VERY small (in fact, with the fish-tape I can't feel one at all, but I know it's there because the tower light wires run through it...). I've tried going from both the top and bottom -- no luck either way. Does the tower need to be removed so a bigger hole can be drilled??

I'm sure I'm not the first to have this problem but couldn't find any other posts about it. Any ideas or advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you and I look forward to adding more to this forum in time!!

Thanks
Cal

Pdowling1
02-06-2008, 08:35 PM
I ran wires through my tower using compressed air to blow a plastic bag tied to a string. The hole in mine was about 3/8" diameter. I was amazed at how well it worked, took only a few seconds to blow to the other end, where I was able to grab a piece of the bag & pull it out.

phenom_1819
02-06-2008, 11:31 PM
That diameter sounds about right -- but when I poke with the fish-tape from the bottom, it goes up about 3/4", then stops -- which leads me to believe the tower, top deck, and backing plate aren't lined up quite right. But I'm going to keep trying. Can you explain how you did it in more detail?

And any other ideas?

Thank you!

Pdowling1
02-07-2008, 10:07 PM
I started at the top, so gravity was my friend. I tied a length of chalkline to a piece of a plastic grocery bag, pushed it in the hole along with most of the string, using a pencil, and nudged it in the right direction. Tape or tie off the other end of the string. Next, using a blow nozzle, I used compressed air to blow the bag, with the string attached, down to the bottom hole, where a bit of the bag bubbled out, just enough so I was able to pull it out. It really did only take a few seconds. Compressed air works much better than vacuum for a job such as this Make sure there is only one way out, or the bag may be blown to the wrong hole! Any other holes could be covered with duct tape for this job.

phenom_1819
02-07-2008, 11:48 PM
That's really creative and a very good idea... I toyed around with it some more today. And compressed air or not, I've come to the conclusion that I'm SOL. The holes aren't lined up and there isn't even enough room for even one more wire -- obviously my layers don't line up. I'm going to have my dealer remove the base of the tower, re-drill a bigger hole and start fresh.

Thank you for all your help! I'll get pictures up when all is complete.

jonyb
02-08-2008, 06:07 PM
I helped assemble my boat when the dealer received it and the tower was extremely hard to line up at the front base. It took about 2 people pushing as hard as they could to get it lined up. You might try removing the tower bolts, spacing it up and drilling a bigger hole....