PDA

View Full Version : Did Photobucket commit Suicide

michael hunter
07-23-2017, 08:30 PM
As most of you probably know by now Photobucket has not only stopped members from posting pics to their website unless you pay 60.00 a year . Now they have gone even farther with the removal of any pics ever posted from their website unless you pay the extortion fee of 399.99 a year . I have my pics backed up and there is no way I will pay a company a fee for a service that was offered free . This was not what I signed up for I would never have started with them if they reviled the hidden fees . There are so many other ways to store pics I would be surprised if they survive this move.

Cooose
07-23-2017, 10:47 PM
photobucket is the worst...and not only for the reasons you mention. Their website is garbage as well, the rate at which the advertising loads and spams you while on their site is ridiculous.

Cooose
07-23-2017, 10:49 PM
imgur for the win

jasun
07-24-2017, 07:11 AM
in a panic last night I saved most of my important photos to my phone with the app. going to drop them. They have more ads then the click bait you see on facebook...

oldsmobiledriver
07-24-2017, 07:19 AM
I did the same, saved all photos and then it ask you why you are closing your account and I made sure to leave all the details for how bad it's become the last year or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cadunkle
07-26-2017, 09:56 AM
When I get through a project I think I'm just gonna build a micro-ITX server to host my own. Photobucket has destroyed a huge amount of valuable information for various projects and restorations. I would have paid a reasonable amount to keep that, but me paying them of course wouldn't have done anything for what everyone else has made available. They burned the bridge and even if it was a penny for a lifetime subscription I wouldn't give them that. It's only a matter of time. I put pictures on there after several forums, this one included, lost pictures for whatever reason. The only way to ensure availability is to host it yourself.

Boppin_Jake
07-30-2017, 09:00 AM
So how do we upload pics now? I am trying to upload pics of my stern for a service post I started a few days ago but each time I click upload I get redirected to a blank page.

michael hunter
07-31-2017, 07:38 AM
I would have never used them in the first place if I were told that at some time in the future my pics would be used to black male me for 400.00 a year. Is anyone actually paying them?

zroe
07-31-2017, 02:06 PM
Any updates on the funeral for Photobucket? I never used them but I am pained by the loss of so much useful information on this forum and others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooose
07-31-2017, 10:33 PM
So how do we upload pics now? I am trying to upload pics of my stern for a service post I started a few days ago but each time I click upload I get redirected to a blank page.

I use imgur..but there are a few additional photo hosting sites out there.

...I am pained by the loss of so much useful information on this forum and others.

^^^^^^this!

Mischief IV
08-02-2017, 11:57 AM
I would have never used them in the first place if I were told that at some time in the future my pics would be used to black male me for 400.00 a year. Is anyone actually paying them?

I pay $20 bucks a year for some additional storage. Never had an issue. My subscription is supposedly good till Dec. '18 My pics are STILL UP on here looking at some threads. Looking for alternatives but I guess I have time to research. Sad, been using them for nearly 10 years. I've also bought prints and canvas from their store. Guess it's time to move on.

michael hunter
08-03-2017, 06:36 AM
When they find out you are posting pics on a forum they will force you to upgrade to the 400.00 package.

CJD
08-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Get's worse too...

I have posted hundreds of img links with PB, so I was one of the first to get dumped. I paid the $100 level, thinking that would get the linking back, only to find that "linking" is different from "3rd party hosting". I didn't get my photos back, so asked for a refund an hour after I purchased the upgrade. I wrote 15 emails before a response that "we don't give refunds, we'll set your account to turn auto renewal off next year"!

I've stopped payment, and then my pics came back! I don't expect it to last, but PB is a marketing mess right now.

Mischief IV
08-03-2017, 01:42 PM
When they find out you are posting pics on a forum they will force you to upgrade to the 400.00 package.

From their new policy page on website.
ANY PAYING MEMBER WHOSE PLUS ACCOUNT WAS IN GOOD STANDING AS OF JUNE 1, 2017, SHALL CONTINUE TO RECEIVE ALL THE PHOTOBUCKET SERVICES THAT WERE AVAILABLE TO HIM/HER ON SUCH DATE, INCLUDING IMAGE LINKING AND 3RD PARTY IMAGE HOSTING, UNTIL DECEMBER 31, 2018 AS LONG THEY MAINTAIN THEIR CURRENT PLUS ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION OR A HIGHER LEVEL PLUS ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION DURING SUCH PERIOD OF TIME.

michael hunter
08-04-2017, 07:54 AM
Really a shame what PB is doing . Probably new upper management showing them how to make real money. The same holds true for satellite and cable tv and XM radio the price is so high they loose most of the subscribers then they have to charge more to the ones they have left and so on and so on. Only the government can get away with that business model. I think this is only the start for PB next year they will have a different account structure that will be even more expensive . I don't see the value in their product. Photos can easily be put on a SD card or memory stick and kept forever.

Okie Boarder
08-04-2017, 12:50 PM
I was disappointed in this move and what it did to all the img links I've posted on various forums. I'm looking into other image hosting sites so I can move all my pictures and start over. I wonder if they will change back after enough people dump them.

Cooose
09-13-2017, 09:26 PM
Picked up this tip from bimmerforums....

quoting Dan750il on that forum, "Apparently there is a add-in for Chrome and Firefox (I think) that makes the Photobucket images visible again.
Search for Photobucket embed fix"

Seems to be working for a couple guys there

Just FYI in case you were in bed with PB

SquamInboards
09-14-2017, 09:46 AM
Picked up this tip from bimmerforums....

quoting Dan750il on that forum, "Apparently there is a add-in for Chrome and Firefox (I think) that makes the Photobucket images visible again.
Search for Photobucket embed fix"

Seems to be working for a couple guys there

Just FYI in case you were in bed with PB

That would be awesome, but I suppose it may just be a loophole waiting to be discovered by PB and closed. We'll see!

Meanwhile, I've found the user interface of imgur to be far better than PB ever was. It's so easy to upload 5 pics and grab ALL the links at once, for example... anyway my two cents.

Cooose
09-14-2017, 10:13 PM
That would be awesome, but I suppose it may just be a loophole waiting to be discovered by PB and closed. We'll see!

Meanwhile, I've found the user interface of imgur to be far better than PB ever was. It's so easy to upload 5 pics and grab ALL the links at once, for example... anyway my two cents.

I just enjoy that people are finding was around the 3rd party hosting bs that PB is bringing, even if it is just temporary. Although, it is likely to be a tennis match for a while with folks developing loop holes and PB closing them.

No doubt...imgur for the win