PDA

View Full Version : Gel coat

87 Sunsport
03-26-2003, 08:09 AM
I had some storm damage to the bow of my 87 Sunsport last fall. It will require deep fiberglass repair and a new gelcoat over about 6 square inches. The only local resources are auto body repair. When I approached them they seemed confident that with computer matching they could match the faded red gelcoat perfectly. Now that I've scheduled a date I'm hearing that it wont be a perfect match, and that the "fungal paint" used to match the color will ding easily.
The nearest Supra dealer is 5 hours away, but if I thought that would get me a perfect job it's worth it, and there are other inboard dealers about 3 hours away.
Any advice?

Brian Raymond
04-06-2003, 11:18 PM
The automotive guys may do good work, however, in the marine industry, we use polyester based resins and fillers, to keep out the blistering under the gel. The marinas usually have trained and exp'd. fiberglass people who will stand behind thier work, and may offer some type of short term warranty. The gelcoat they receive (if ordered thru SkiersChoice) will be a darn near if not perfect match. So you have to drive a bit and maybe spend a couple more bucks, but through personal experience, if you want it done correctly, and have a repair that won't make you itch every time you look at it, this would be the route I'd take. Brian Raymond