PDA

View Full Version : swimplatform fiberglass repair

samdrake
09-28-2017, 07:25 PM
Took the platform off my 02 sunsport and noticed some small holes in the underside, and it was holding some water as a little came dripping out.

Looks like either prior damage or just water had migrated in and previous freeze/thaw had formed holes. As this is just the underside, I am thinking I will make sure all is dry and just marine-tex all the holes. Anyone have any similar experience with a fiberglass swim platform? - If so, any repair suggestions?

CJD
09-30-2017, 09:53 AM
I had a pin come out this summer, allowing the platform to lift on one side and rip all the screws out of the opposite side. When I got it home to repair, I found the mounts had been relocated previously (and apparently by the factory, as it looked like they initially attempted to mount it too close to clear the hull). It was not taking water, but I repaired all the holes.

Since I had to repair the ripped out holes that were too large for the screws, I reamed out the holes oversize, and then used the short strand reinforced filler to repair the holes. I then re-drilled and remounted everything using bedding compound. It lasted all summer.

I only use the marine-tex for issues with the gel coat. I don't trust it for anything structural.

samdrake
10-02-2017, 08:57 PM
Good advice, thanks. I've had good luck with 3m 4200 in the past, I may try that out.