PDA

View Full Version : JL MBT-RX Bluetooth Adapter Questions

Salty87
12-05-2017, 03:26 PM
Anyone using the MBT-RX? I just picked up an old 1980's Alpine with the bitchin' 6 green buttons. Want to add some bluetooth without adding all the controller junk most units have. JL's is super clean and has great reviews.

How does the MBT-RX work?
* If it's plugged directly into the amp does it automatically switch the amp from the deck source to your bluetooth device?...or do you need to turn down the deck volume?
* Volume is controlled from the paired device?
* How do you pair up with it?

Thanks

Wylietunes
12-05-2017, 10:56 PM
I just picked up an old 1980's Alpine with the bitchin' 6 green buttons.

dont know what this is.

Most amps do not have dual inputs or switchable inputs. You cannot run dual inputs.

Salty87
12-06-2017, 11:09 AM
That's what has me wondering how it works. "It connects to any amplifier with line-level inputs or to any source unit with an auxiliary input..."

The Alpine deck probably doesn't have an aux input. It hasn't arrived, yet.
https://ci4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/CrM2h2xqytn0BeNEWAHZ01xFQfnsJhwGMkU85IbsZgRY8IkL6k 44fAQbcTQS91vOmkaP_-YHbJEuowbv0N0qc86YrGHKCEXBW94XN2PQUXjo=s0-d-e1-ft#http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l275/pict/222677794912_1.jpg

Salty87
12-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Anyone running one of these?

Does it replace the head unit if wired to the amp?
If using an aux jack (which I don't have) then the head unit is switched to Aux mode to use bluetooth?

Wylietunes
12-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Running what, a 1980's alpine of the JL blue tooth?

The JL BT can eliminate the need for a traditional head unit

If the head unit does not have an AUX-in, I would not expect it to have an AUX mode. Running two inputs in an amp will likely cause noise.

Send the JL back, shelve the alpineosaurus and get the JVC marine/powersports BT head unit for a little over $100.

Salty87
12-08-2017, 09:42 PM
The classic Alpine (-osaurus, lol, that was good) is destined for a 1990 Porsche, new toy. Researching how to add bluetooth because we all know nobody is rocking cassettes anymore. If Alpine still made anything close to as good as back then I'd just go that route provided it looked periodic correct. Something new in the dash won't do.

After more ilooking around an FM modulator w/bluetooth seems to be the direction to go.

Wylietunes
12-10-2017, 07:48 PM
If the alpine is for looks, then mount it, wire it to to come on but skit it all together on the audio signal path. Connect the JL BT direct to the amp. Will work fine with a single amp setup.

With an FM modulator, be prepared for low sound quality and some occasional interference.