PDA

View Full Version : Will be selling Supra this spring. Suggestions?

Supra98NC
02-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Hi folks. Yes I’m new here, many reasons behind why I haven’t been here before. Most notably, I bought my 98 Legacy when the “internet” and forums were just starting. Anyway, life being what it is, my interests have changed and I’ve moved on. My issue is my Supra, which has been in my heated basement, on its trailer on blocks for more than six years. It’s about time I changed that.

So I’ve decided to sell it, but really don’t know how to begin other than pull it out of the garage, do a bit of cleaning and start the engine (after an oil change). Suggestions welcome. It’s never been stored “in the water”. I’m on a lake so back in the day in the summer it was on my lift (runabout on the lift now) which is in my covered dock. As the weather turned from skiing I’d put it back on its trailer in my basement. It has a 350 Inmar with a Holley. Hours I think are less than 400 (will have to look). Battery has been out of it so I’ll have to remedy that as well. So, is there anything I should do to the motor before cranking it? It had a new plugs, wires, cap, etc. the last season I used it and since it’s been in the basement I’m thinking that ought to be all good. Still has the origina Supra cover....

After I run it a bit, how about how to sell it? I let the registration (both boat and trailer) expire, so I don’t want to put in back in the dock, but I could trailer it I suppose for a test ride. We used the boat for skiing and my son to wakeboard with back then. As such, it has a pole that goes over the pylon as well as two portable bladder tanks that can be filled while on the floor. I’ve got slaloms, vests, an air chair, anchor and that kind of stuff as well (does me no good at this age). I realize the classifieds on this forum are available as well as Boat Trader. Anything better or preferred? Is a boat broker worth it?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2001Sunsport
02-20-2018, 12:28 PM
I've bought four inboards and sold three inboards. All four of my purchases were found on Craigslist. For the boat sales, two of them sold from Craigslist and the third sold via onlyinboards.com

I'd probably do a combo of craigslist, onlyinboards, ski-it-again and I'm sure it will go if it's priced right.

michael hunter
02-20-2018, 02:23 PM
I might be interested how about some pics and a location. Are you sure its carbureted? How much do you want for it?

Kdiddy
02-20-2018, 04:27 PM
PM sent to SupraNC98

cadunkle
02-20-2018, 11:02 PM
Craigslist and onlyinboards. Personally I've bought every vehicle I've ever owned either through newspaper ads or craigslist. Newspaper classifieds are a thing of the past though.

korey
02-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Like others said, CraigsList and Only Inboards. I just sold my Saltare last night and the buyer found me through CraigsList. You definitely end up with a lot of tire kickers via any free internet ads.

Facebook for sale groups are highly active, but since you;re self admittedly "older" ("at this age", etc"), that may be unattractive to you. Facebook groups like "Ski and Wake Boat Liquidator" and "Wakeboats for Sale" got me a lot of attention, but no buyers that showed up to my house.

Mischief IV
02-21-2018, 02:11 PM
I just sold my Saltare last night and the buyer found me through CraigsList.

You sold it?

Do you have a replacement in mind?

korey
02-21-2018, 02:54 PM
You sold it?

Do you have a replacement in mind?

I've got a 2018 Moomba Craz on order! Spray Date April 23! To avoid messing this thread up, I posted here:
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?31094-February-Picture-Thread&p=321450#post321450

Mischief IV
02-21-2018, 07:24 PM
I've got a 2018 Moomba Craz on order! Spray Date April 23!

I see you ventured over to the dark side, huh? Bring it down to the Southern Supra Reunion this summer. We’re a forgiving bunch. :p

Congrats!

Supra98NC
02-21-2018, 08:24 PM
Holley dual feed, yeah, I’m sure. Have replaced the accel valve/diaphragm previously. Probably a 650 cfm, motor is 320 HP I think. We Special ordered boat at time, one of the things I didn’t want was marinized fuel injection at the time.

I have to wait for the weather to dry up a bit, as I use a tractor to pull the trailer out of the garage. My yard has a pretty steep hill and it’s too tight for my F150 to navigate. Once the yard dries up, I plan to get it out, dust off the cover and take some pics. I’ll post when I do. Probably be a few weeks (gotta borrow my neighbors Kubota).

Supra98NC
02-21-2018, 08:26 PM
Thank you. Have not heard of the last two. Craigslist always seemed to bring in weirdos, guess I’ll just need to deal with them if I want to sell it.

Supra98NC
02-21-2018, 08:31 PM
Like others said, CraigsList and Only Inboards. I just sold my Saltare last night and the buyer found me through CraigsList. You definitely end up with a lot of tire kickers via any free internet ads.

Facebook for sale groups are highly active, but since you;re self admittedly "older" ("at this age", etc"), that may be unattractive to you. Facebook groups like "Ski and Wake Boat Liquidator" and "Wakeboats for Sale" got me a lot of attention, but no buyers that showed up to my house.

Thanks. I’m on f/b and will look those up.

michael hunter
02-22-2018, 08:00 AM
How about you start by posting it here . This is where the true Supra fans are.

MJHKnox
02-22-2018, 07:17 PM

I would agree.

Most of the newer Supra Boat owners are over on the Moomba site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supra98NC
02-23-2018, 10:13 AM

I thought I would, that’s why I joined. As I’ve written, it’ll be a few weeks. As posted, I’m interested in what precautions I should take before cranking the engine in the driveway. I have a water supply, but it hasn’t been turned over I like six years.

2001Sunsport
02-23-2018, 04:40 PM
Not sure how to accomplish this on a carbed boat, but on my Sunsport that had EFI, I would pull the plug to the fuel pump and crank the boat for 5-10 seconds. This was done in hopes of getting oil moving around before it fired up for the first time after winterization. Not sure if it actually helped anything, just something I did.

Salty87
02-24-2018, 02:20 PM
Remove the spark plugs first. Put a breaker bar on the main flywheel bolt to make sure the pistons aren't locked up.

Would be best to pull the distributor and use a drill to spin the oil pump. Then use the starter to spin the engine. Some may skip pulling the distributor and go straight to using the starter. If you do, pull the wire from the coil to the distributor first so it can't fire up.

Reinstall plugs & distributor/wire.

What's the situation with the gas? Hopefully not 6 years old. Not a good idea to run that through the carb.

Supra98NC
02-27-2018, 07:47 AM
Remove the spark plugs first. Put a breaker bar on the main flywheel bolt to make sure the pistons aren't locked up.

Would be best to pull the distributor and use a drill to spin the oil pump. Then use the starter to spin the engine. Some may skip pulling the distributor and go straight to using the starter. If you do, pull the wire from the coil to the distributor first so it can't fire up.

Reinstall plugs & distributor/wire.

What's the situation with the gas? Hopefully not 6 years old. Not a good idea to run that through the carb.

Gas tank was drained prior to storage. Distributor- oil pump is a great idea. That’s what I was looking for. Thank you!

michael hunter
02-27-2018, 04:27 PM
Depending on price and location I might be interested in it as is . I would rather see what it needs before its worked on?

Supra98NC
03-29-2018, 07:19 PM

These are some pics I was able to take today when I pulled it out of the basement. Haven’t cleaned it yet, supposed to rain tonight so I put it back in basement. Ordered a new fuel filter canister element, put some gas in it. Will try it once I get gas flowing. Checked hour meter, 97.3 hours. Will post some more pics.

Supra98NC
03-29-2018, 07:33 PM

Last pic is the only, and I mean only damage/wear on the boat. As I mentioned, when it was brand new wife bumped the dock as she was pulling into the slip/lift. Man, it really revived some great memories when I was pulling all the skis, air chair, tricks, tubes, bags, anchor, etc., out to get some pics.

Would you guys sell it all together or boat only then piece the stuff out?

Also, the pics are much better but they suck when uploaded. Is there a better wa to upload pics? I took more but I’ll save those for the “for sale” ads.

Thanks for your help.