PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issue at fuse block.

hoop46
04-22-2018, 02:42 PM
Was out this weekend and went to turn over the engine and lost all electric on the boat. After getting towed back the dock, I began troubleshooting a little more in depth.

What i found was that i was not getting power to the fuse block. The wire leading to the block was live, but when it connected the fuse block nothing happened. I later found that if i touch it directly to any of the fuses, everything was on like normal, so i used a jumper wire and attached straight to the fuse to get the boat back to the launch and loaded up. I looked at the fuse block, and it is riveted (?) together with a closed construction. Not something that screams it can be taken apart and fixed. With that said, I'm thinking it may be time to just replace it complete to something a bit more modern and that should fix the issue.

Will something like this get the job done? I know the current one is set up with a positive lead coming in, all the fuse spots, and then on the right side there are quite a few leads for ground.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-5025-Blade/dp/B001P6FTHC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1524422478&sr=8-4&keywords=fuse%2Bblock%2Bwith%2Bground&th=1

CJD
04-23-2018, 09:13 AM
It looks like the power comes in the top post and goes down the middle of the fuse block. The posts on the right (and I suppose left) are the power take-offs for your different accessories. You normally have to accommodate the grounds separately...but it looks like maybe the posts at the top are there for that purpose? I would think this box would work fine. Have you looked at ones for breakers instead of fuses? That would really be modernizing!

hoop46
04-24-2018, 09:08 PM
Replaced the fuse block this evening. All systems ago. Quick and easy.