PDA

View Full Version : newbie to Supra

Dave Parkinson UK
04-27-2018, 12:01 PM
Hi, just looking at a 1989 Supra TS been stored for 2 years but looks good in photo's, is there anything I should pay close attention too when I go to view it, had great response from the guys on ccfan when I bought my last boat so I am kind of hoping you guy's will be able to guide me a bit on this one.

Been a skier for about 35 years on and off, so not too green around the gills, but always good to ask them who know.

Thanks
Dave

michael hunter
04-27-2018, 07:12 PM
Like Correct Craft pre 92 Supras are known for floor and stringer rot. Try to tighten the motor mount lag bolts going into the stringers if the wont tighten the stringers are rotten. There are two kinds of pre 92 Supras those that have had new stringers and those that need new stringers

Dave Parkinson UK
04-29-2018, 03:27 AM
Thamks for that, I went to see the boat yesterday and it is infact a 92, the last two digits on the id number on the transom are 92. I take it that's the manufacture year as opposed to the modle year.

So in 92 did they stop using timber in the strings and floors?

cheers
Dave

michael hunter
04-29-2018, 07:10 AM
Does it have a rounded of squared off windshield?

Dave Parkinson UK
04-29-2018, 09:47 AM
it's Squared off.

Mischief IV
04-29-2018, 10:55 AM
it's Squared off.

Bummer, that boat will have wood stringers for 92 model.

S omething
U nderneath
P robably
R otten
A lready

Dave Parkinson UK
04-29-2018, 04:27 PM
Ok, thanks for the info, have today found a 95 wiht the rounded screen, will look at that next week'

Once again, thanks for your help.

Cheers
Dave

Cooose
04-29-2018, 07:07 PM
+1 for the round screen

Dave Parkinson UK
05-04-2018, 04:33 PM
What year did the windshield go from square to round? Just seen a 97 for sale but it has a squared windshield. would that be rite

MJHKnox
05-04-2018, 08:31 PM
Bummer, that boat will have wood stringers for 92 model.

S omething
U nderneath
P robably
R otten
A lreadySomehow I'm picturing you wearing that T-shirt logo.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Mischief IV
05-04-2018, 10:53 PM
What year did the windshield go from square to round? Just seen a 97 for sale but it has a squared windshield. would that be rite

Hang on, just explained this on another thread. Supra made a Comp Classic in ‘97 that has a square windshield. They went back to the old school look.
The year you worry about is 1992. Anything after that, regardless of the shape of the windshield, is composite stringers if the last two digits on the HIN is greater than 92.

Somehow I'm picturing you wearing that T-shirt logo.

My life story for sure except would say:

S omething
U underneath
P robably
R otten
A gain!!

Dave Parkinson UK
05-05-2018, 01:42 PM
Ok my friend, just to put things a little straighter, I sent the HIN to Supra Boats and the last 2 digits were 92 and a guy called Anthony Cooper came back and told me it had composit strings.
the 97 is another story all together.
Cheers
Dave

Mischief IV
05-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Ok my friend, just to put things a little straighter, I sent the HIN to Supra Boats and the last 2 digits were 92 and a guy called Anthony Cooper came back and told me it had composit strings.
the 97 is another story all together.
Cheers
Dave

So Supra is saying a 92 with a square windshield has composite stringers??

Dave Parkinson UK
05-06-2018, 01:37 PM
No that's not what they said, they said the HIN I sent them had composite strings, they didn't elaborate any further.
Sorry if you got the wrong end of the tale.
cheers
Dave

Mischief IV
05-06-2018, 08:06 PM
No that's not what they said, they said the HIN I sent them had composite strings, they didn't elaborate any further.
Sorry if you got the wrong end of the tale.
cheers
Dave

Well, good to know. I’m more likely to believe you than anything Supra says.