PDA

View Full Version : New owner, 1985 Supra Sunsport

Indirocz28
05-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Good afternoon all.
Today I picked up a little bit of a project. It’s not perfect, although I think it’s in pretty good shape for being 32 years old. There’s some piping on the vinyl trim that’s peeling, wiring under the dash is a mess, has some mild spider cracks in the gelcloat, and needs the teak trim and swim deck restored, but I really dig the vintage look and appeal of it. The boat seems very solid for its age minus 1 soft spot in the decking just behind the driver seat. I poked my head underneath and the cross supports look almost new though.

Mischief IV
05-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Awesome. Welcome to the club. Now, you’ll never run out of things to fix.

A Classic for sure. Still love the graphics as they never go out of style. Have one of my own.
Digging the brown carpet.

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Indirocz28
05-13-2018, 09:44 PM
Never run out of things to fix huh? I already have a Jeeping, and off road racing addiction. Sounds like I should be planning bankruptcy soon.

Haha

scottschmitt
05-13-2018, 09:54 PM
A little love and that teak will clean up nice.
Welcome to the club.

Indirocz28
05-13-2018, 10:07 PM
A little love and that teak will clean up nice.
Welcome to the club.

Any tips on the teak? Most is good enough to try to re-finish, but the swim deck is going to need some work.

Mischief IV
05-13-2018, 10:47 PM
Never run out of things to fix huh? I already have a Jeeping, and off road racing addiction. Sounds like I should be planning bankruptcy soon.

Haha

It’s a 33 year old boat. And has wooden stringers. Even if it was five years old, always be something to fix. Trust me, I know from experience.

Any tips on the teak? Most is good enough to try to re-finish, but the swim deck is going to need some work.

Start with a light sand to open up the grain of the wood. Don’t go heavy grit. You want a ultra smooth finish.
Then go buy the three step teak oil kit from Starbrite and follow the directions.
(Cleaner, brightener and oil)
Just be generous with the oil and keep applying till it doesn’t absorb anymore.
Will be beautiful with just a few hours work.

Then post pics of before and after.

Indirocz28
05-14-2018, 10:07 AM
I was hoping there would be a way to coat or encapsulate the teak in a sealer or epoxy resin to keep it beautiful and weather resistant forever. Does such a thing exist?

Mischief IV
05-14-2018, 07:37 PM
I was hoping there would be a way to coat or encapsulate the teak in a sealer or epoxy resin to keep it beautiful and weather resistant forever. Does such a thing exist?

Yes, but not for swim platform teak or any teak that is constantly submerged in water. Follow previous post instructions for platform.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/mobileportal/show_product.do?pid=6756

Use this for interior teak or any teak above the waterline.

I also recommend a light sand on heavy weathered teak followed by several coats, (follow instructions on can) then you’re done for at least 10 years or more. I can post pics in next few days of finished product when I did it. Still looks brand new. Hope this helps.

Indirocz28
05-15-2018, 12:31 AM
Yes, but not for swim platform teak or any teak that is constantly submerged in water. Follow previous post instructions for platform.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/mobileportal/show_product.do?pid=6756

Use this for interior teak or any teak above the waterline.

I also recommend a light sand on heavy weathered teak followed by several coats, (follow instructions on can) then you’re done for at least 10 years or more. I can post pics in next few days of finished product when I did it. Still looks brand new. Hope this helps.

10 years! Wow! That sounds worth the investment in time right there!

Cooose
05-17-2018, 11:47 PM

Haha

Can I borrow $20 bucks?....Before bankruptcy sets in?

Poorhouse
05-25-2018, 06:22 PM
Looks great, a twin to mine.