PDA

View Full Version : Z-5 Cargo Rack is it worth it

klewis
03-27-2008, 02:02 PM
We didn't opt for the Z-5 cargo rack when we ordered our boat. One because it was so damn expensive and two because one of the boat show specials we got was a free forward bimini. Anyone out there with a Z-5 think I will regret it down the road?

I'm really not sure what I would put up there, we only wakeboard and tube. The tube we have is a Super Mable and that pig of a tube is too big to put up there. I sure like the way they look though!

My dealer told me the only drawback beside price was that they aren't collapsible, anyone find that to be a pain ever?

The other thing is that I am 6'2" and on my previous boat I had a forward bimini off the top of the tower and it was nice not to have to seriously duck getting to and from the drivers seat. It looks like the Z-5 sits lower.

Thanks!

cptsupra
03-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I have the Z-5 and like it, but it sounds to me you took into the right considerations for you. I am not as tall and usually load up the wakeboard racks, then put the two slaloms and a wake surf board on top of the rack. My buddy with the same boat I have and forward bimini looks great and suits him well as they don't ski at all.

Plus the addition of a z-5 is an easy self install if you decide you want it later. Only 4 clamps to tighten in place. It is easy to raise and lower the height of the tower. Anyway, if I didn't ski, I am not sure I would have paid that much extra for it either.

klewis
03-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe if I ever take up slalom I'll use that as an excuse to get one!

cb1974
03-28-2008, 10:42 PM
I really wanted to get one for my 06 22SSV until i priced them out. After talking to a few dealers, the price ranges anywhere from 2200 to 3000....OUCH! Maybe i can duct tape my extra boards to the tower instead :lol:

wakespeak
04-28-2008, 05:47 PM
We really like ours. Looks great and very functional. The problem on our old boat with a bimini was the buffeting in the wind. No issue with the Z-5. We put the tube up there to get it out of the way.