PDA

View Full Version : 96 Supra Mariah - soft spots in floor - should i buy?

ridefastakechances
06-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Hi, new to the forum and supra boats. I found a clean 1996 Mariah I'm interested in purchasing however there are noticable soft spots in the floor near the bilge pump and on the side of the engine cover. I've researched enough to understand this boat has fiberglass stringers and some type of wood floors. How much of a job is it to fix these floors? I wasn't able to locate any posts on repairing a Supra with fiberglass stringers and wood floor?

Thanks in advance, i would really like to buy the boat but need to know what I'm getting into.

Indirocz28
06-15-2018, 01:06 AM
I’ve got a 86 SunSport out in the yard a member here gave up on. I am just using it for parts.
My floor in my 85 has some soft spots too, and I’m praying and hoping for the best, but after talking to the previous owner of the other boat, I fear most of these will have the same issues and will need completely gutted and stringers re-formed and fiberglassed. Basically a full cap off restoration.

There are plenty of threads here about members doing full interior restorations, while it may not be your exact boat, it will give you a great idea of how much work (a lot) is involved.

I can take and post some pics tomorrow of the parts boat. He found it much easier to go and buy a newer one that wouldn’t be such a project.

After having 2 to make 1, I don’t blame him a single bit, and realize that’s probably the smarter way to go.

michael hunter
06-15-2018, 06:57 AM
96 is a composite boat did you check the hull number the last 2 digits will tell you the year.

ridefastakechances
06-26-2018, 09:58 PM
Yes verified it is a 1996, has composite under the floor so stringers are fine, just a couple soft spots in what appears to be wood floor, the worst one being over the bilge pump.

Update: I pulled the trigger on this boat, love it so far, but hoping I can just repair the soft spots and not do full interior restoration.

Mischief IV
06-26-2018, 10:56 PM
96 composite boats do not have wood floors. They are all composite. Wood was discontinued in 92.

ridefastakechances
06-27-2018, 10:14 PM
So has anyone repaired soft spots in a composite floor? That sounds a little more involved than replacing wood. Because there definitely are soft spots and this is for sure a 1996 Mariah, I checked the stamping on the hull.

Salty87
06-28-2018, 09:59 AM
Never used it myself but this might be your ticket. Going from memory Flipz used Coosa in his incredibly amazing rebuild. Search in the upper right of the screen for coosa.

http://www.coosacomposites.com/