PDA

View Full Version : 1989 comp condenser?

Kriss
07-05-2018, 08:06 AM
Guys I am back again. Last year boat ran great after having supra dealer fix. Now this year took it out and am having same issue I had last year. Motor starts cutting out under load. I put all new electrical everything along with new fuel pump and carb kit. When it did it before they figured out it was the condenser that was causing it. Is it possible that my condenser went out again with only 15 hours on it? If so what is causing it to fail.

Kriss
07-05-2018, 08:11 AM
Also forgot to mention. It ran great for the first half hour. Then just shut off. It would start up after I pumped it. Then as soon ast I put it in gear die. It would rev up great and run. But as soon as I put it in gear it would die.

michael hunter
07-06-2018, 07:18 AM
It could be the condenser I have only seen 1 bad condenser in the past 40 years but it is possible. Have you checked the points? also check the coil. Where are you located?

CJD
07-06-2018, 09:49 AM
Normally a bad condenser results in very rough running at all times, not just under load. The points start to arc and burn, so it gets worse rapidly.

From you description, I would start by checking mixture and idle speed once the engine is warm and the choke is off. It sounds like the idle may be a bit low and/or the mixture a bit lean.

Kriss
07-11-2018, 01:15 PM
I had the points,coil,condenser,cables,rotor,cap,plugs,resis ter anything electrical replaced a year ago.

For fuel I had pump,filter,carb kit all done a year ago

I am wondering if water is getting in my tank from condensation.

I’m about ready to light a match to the damn thing

I am in Minnesota

Kriss
07-11-2018, 01:17 PM
I will try that. But it will run half throttle until I open all four barrels. Then it acts like it’s running our of gas.

cadunkle
07-12-2018, 07:19 AM
I had a similar problem of misifiring and cutting out entirely after 20 minutes or so. Turned out to be an overheating coil. It would start after sitting 15-20 minutes and be fine for a while. Tried swapping a spare coil right away when it failed and it ran fine. Ended up getting a new coil from NAPA and has been fine for years, running a Mallory Unilite distributor.

Kriss
07-12-2018, 07:31 AM
That’s where I got my last coil was from Napa. I will try it. Thanks

Kriss
07-12-2018, 07:32 AM
The funny thing is I wasn’t even skiing with it when it quit. I was just cruising just above idle.

michael hunter
07-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Check the dwell or point gap.

Kriss
07-14-2018, 11:46 AM
It has something to do with it either being under load or warming up. Boat runs great out of the water. I have never run it long enough as I would on the lake. I have been messing with this problem for over 5 years. Two years ago I finally broke down and sent it to a supra dealer. After getting it back from dealer. It did the exact same thing. Ran great for a half hour or so. Then shut off. It would start back up. Idle. Rev up. Run smooth. I raised the idle speed. It would run up to half throttle then start cutting out. If I backed it down it would run. Took it back to dealer. They said they put the wrong condenser on it. Got it back and it ran good for a year. Maybe ten hours. Got it out this year. Same thing. Ran good for a half hour and then died. Started back up. But will not run over half throttle. There HAS TO BE a simple answer to this. If it has spark and gas that motor should run. WHAT THE HELL AM I MISSING.

It’s a 351 Ford. I have in framed majored these motors. Which is why I boat this boat. But it seems neither I or the supra dealer can figure this out.

michael hunter
07-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Check points, dwell, Ign coil and timing to start.

Blackntan90
07-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Not sure about your exact issue, but has anyone checked the fuel tank vent is clear and the hose has a loop up so water cannot get in the fuel that way. Fuel filter replaced? Fuel sample, in a clear jar and let it sit overnight...look for water at the bottom. Changing to electronic ignition was one of my best mods to my '90. I installed a Pertronix kit, about $100. Sure hope you get it figured out, and let us know what fixed it!

Kriss
07-31-2018, 09:50 PM
Yes I did check the vent. Had it replaced. I did have a little water in my fuel filter. But not too much. Going to try and swap out coil to see if that makes a difference.