PDA

View Full Version : intermittant starting problem

washmaster
04-03-2008, 12:55 PM
What are the devices to the left of the starter relay? One has a button on it and above that is some type of block.
http://www.geocities.com/continentalthunder/img350.jpg
I ask this because I'm having an intermittant starting problem where sometimes the key wont engage the starter relay. Jumping the relay starts the engine fine. Wiring from the key switch to the 8-pin plug at the back of the engine checks out good. After that I can't seem to find where it goes without tearing everything apart. Neutral Safety switch seems good. This is an '88 Comp/ 351.

OUI
04-04-2008, 10:08 AM
The one on top is the ballast resistor and the other - red button - is a circuit braker.

washmaster
04-06-2008, 03:00 PM
okay. Thank you. I assume that breaker is for the starter relay or does it do other things too?

OUI
04-06-2008, 04:32 PM
The red button is a reset button for the 30 amp main breaker -- anyway it is on my boat. When you jump the starter relay and the boat turns over, maybe the starter relay is bad. Before you buy a new one make sure all the connections are clean and corrision free.

washmaster
04-06-2008, 06:44 PM
The red button is a reset button for the 30 amp main breaker -- anyway it is on my boat. When you jump the starter relay and the boat turns over, maybe the starter relay is bad. Before you buy a new one make sure all the connections are clean and corrision free.

I was doing just that when this reply came in. Cleaned polished every connection with dielectric grease. Still trouble so I went back to the Neutral Safety Switch that I initially ruled out when the problem first materialized. And that's where the problem was. Flaky connection. Problem solved. Thanks!