PDA

View Full Version : hp ratings

randy
04-02-2003, 10:58 AM
I just moved into a lake development and i am having some horse power problems, seem that the lake has a 160 hp limit. Can anyone advise.

i purchased this boat from another lake that had a 175 hp limit. I believe that the previous original owner altered the title to read 160 hp. I have already registred the boat with the new lae and i have been granted lake access. One of the locals complained that this is a 240 hp boat and i should have to remove it from the 175 acre lake.

can someone advise... thanks

Salty87
04-02-2003, 01:00 PM
wow, that really sucks...where do you live?...russia? j/k

sorry, no advice on how to get around it but i wanted to comment that the hp law is BS.

Brian Raymond
04-02-2003, 05:01 PM
Randy, what type of motor do you have? Carb/E.F.I.,cubic inches,chances are you have at least 240h.p.Brian Raymond

dba4life
04-14-2003, 10:03 AM
It sounds like someone "knows" this boat has 240HP - Which it does. If someone else already had the titled altered to read 160 - I would wait until this person makes a formal complaint. If and when they come knocking at the door have that title ready to show them. If the challenge it further I think you are out of luck as they will easily be able to prove it has more then 160HP. I bet the nice V8 rumble of the Comp isn't helping your case much....

Good luck

Alejandro
04-23-2003, 02:08 PM
One option you have is to lower the power of your boat and increase the torque so you still have a nice pull. You do this by changing the camshaft (they go for about $100 and takes one whole morning to do) for one with less valve crossing , this will make the engine idle much nicer and have a nicer response, but it will lower the maximum RPMs and speed. A different intake manifold designed for torque will help too. Then you can show your neighbour that you don't have a stock 351W, but a derated one with a nice low end torque, like a diesel! My pick up truck's engine is like that from factory, it is a similar engine a 1995 GM 350 HD, with lots of low end torque (pulls the boat idling up steep ramps as soon as I let the clutch go like the diesels), but is only rated at 160 hp. Also, if you put a partially discharged battery, and many other accessories, when you go to measure the power at the prop, it will show lower because of all the other stuff stealing power. If it is still not low enough, you can adjust the transmission cable so that the valves don't open all the way when in forward, this will cause the little wet clutches to slip a little when measuring the power.
Please let me know if this helps.
Alejandro

88 SunSport
06-03-2003, 02:25 PM
I just moved from a lake that had a 160 Hp rating. I talked to the wildlife officer and I could register my Sunsport because it was an inboard ski boat. Seems they just want a keep the speed down.