PDA

View Full Version : Ipod interface - anyone installed one?

klewis
04-16-2008, 02:58 PM
I had found a thread in here from 2007 about the Ipod interface for the Kenwood head unit. However the actual part number for the adapter wasn't listed, so for those that want to know it is a KCA-iP500 made by Kenwood and it's called an Ipod Control Interface. I found it for sale on Amazon, Crutchfield, etc.

In the past post there were a couple of photos, but I am wondering if anyone else out there has recently added this adapter and could post some pics of how they routed the wire, mounted the box, etc? Do you like it? What functions can you control from the remote at the driver's seat? How much information is displayed on the remote screen?

I'm considering adding this myself.

Here is a pic of the actual adapter:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff120/klewis114/Supra%20Launch%2022SSV/h113iP500-o_.jpg

SZEH
04-16-2008, 09:14 PM
I had one installed from the factory. They routed it directly under the dash and it plugged right into the radio. They ran the Ipod connector behind the throttle control and it comes out near the cup holder by the drivers leg. I actually set my Ipod in the cup holder when I plug it in.

The interface isn't all that great. There's limited amount of info that is displayed. I thought it would react juat like the Ipod, but it doesn't. The dealer installed it when I ordered it for about $200. Not worth that amount of money, but very nice to have for your Ipod if you got it cheaper and install it yourself.

Scott

klewis
04-16-2008, 11:40 PM
I didnt think the cable would be long enough to reach over there, but good to know. If you have the time I would love to see a picture of where the ipod end of the cable comes out. Thanks.

SZEH
04-17-2008, 07:39 AM
My boat is still covered for the winter, but I should have it out in about 3 weeks. I'll get a few shots to you if you're still interested.

klewis
04-17-2008, 01:12 PM
If you think about it and have the time. Thanks!

cptsupra
04-17-2008, 06:59 PM
I ran the wire behind the stereo, stuck the controll box to the bottom of the stereo, and then ran the IPOD hookup into the net bag in the battery compartment. This way I just plug the IPOD in and drop in the mesh bag and this keeps it it off the floor in case of moisture.

As far as seeing the IPOD when it is hooked up it is useless cause the IPOD only displays the Kenwood logo when connected. All controls are transferred from the IPOD to your stereo face and your remote commanders. The easiest thing to do is setup up playlists on your IPOD. Once you do that, your kenwood unit will treat each playlist like a disc in a changer. example, you can change from playlist to playlist from the remote commander by pushing the disc + and - buttons.

Hope this helps.

klewis
04-17-2008, 09:28 PM
That's a great idea. Thanks for the info it helped.

WadsworthSunsport22V
04-18-2008, 08:22 AM
I can take some pictures this weekend, if it does not rain. I have the unit mounted behind my radio, and the cable run in th gloves box. It took me about twenty minutes. Although, I thought about how to run it for about two days.
The interface on the radio is pretty useless, but my car radio iPod interface is bad too. The good part is that the iPod stays charged, and I just leave it in the boat. (I have a iPod mini whose batteries died a long time ago, so this was a good home for it.)

indyeng24
04-21-2008, 08:03 PM
I bought one at best buy and my dealer installed it for me. we then drilled a hole at the back of the glove box and just connect it in there. works well for us because I find that as the captain of the ship, the radio is about the only thing I am not in control of. Oh well, can't win them all.

I will tell you that we have an older Ipod nano and it doesn't seem to work with the interface. Most of our boating friends have newer ipods and they all work with no problem.

Enjoy.

jonyb
04-25-2008, 02:51 AM
I've got one and just let it hang under the radio.

For the controls, they kinda suck. The up/down on the head unit remote control the playlist up/down. If you're on a playlist that's 20 steps down from the top, turn the radio off, then back on, it starts where it left off, but if you press the up button, it goes back to the top. Takes a little getting used to.

Lavinder
04-28-2008, 01:14 PM
I have ordered this unit for my 07 22 SSV launch. Should be here tomorrow. I am planning on routing to the glove box where I will keep the Ipod. Depending on the functions available on the ipod. SOunds like the commander takes it over completely.

wakespeak
04-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Yep works great. We have an '07 22V. You can change playlists and go forward/backward using the round thingy with buttons at the 4 poles on the dash and transom controller. It displays playlist or song (optional and can't exactly remember).

Snaps in on back of head unit. I used tie wraps to hang it.

mvd
04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
what settings do you use for the Kenwood KTS-400MR?
How to set the selector switches?

tg0824SSVGG
04-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I installed one - a few weeks ago - then it snowed.

I am still trying to figure out the switches. I don't like the interface too well, will have to get used to playlists ... and I have no PAUSE ...

When it warms up, I will spend more time with it - but it IS way better than the headphone jack in terms of fidelity.

phenom_1819
04-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Kevin, this is what you need... I have one and swear by it, as easy to use and almost as fast as the ipod itself... plus it charges the ipod at the same time:
http://myipodz.com/Harman-Kardon-DP1US-Drive-Play-iPod/M/B00196CCDM.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

I mounted the display above my gauges (it looks stock, sits high between the digital PP display and the whatever gauge is to the right of it), the controller is mounted above the key ignition (see the pic below), and the line that connects to the ipod is in the tray beneath the drivers seat, where the ipod cannot get wet (and the compartment is lockable!). You can kind of see the controller in the picture below.

You are welcome to come take a look at mine if you like, boat is in Bellevue for the next couple weeks.

Cal

tg0824SSVGG
04-07-2009, 07:58 PM
I looked at that, and you sure can't beat the price - they were like $299 new.
I just haven't had that good of luck with the FM transmitters myself, but man would
I LOVE to have that display and control.

mvd
04-08-2009, 02:20 AM
I installed one - a few weeks ago - then it snowed.

I am still trying to figure out the switches. I don't like the interface too well, will have to get used to playlists ... and I have no PAUSE ...

When it warms up, I will spend more time with it - but it IS way better than the headphone jack in terms of fidelity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you find out what settings you use for the Kenwood KTS-400MR can you inform me?
How to set the selector switches?

tg0824SSVGG
04-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Ok, there are only 2 - and when I put it in, I wasn't paying that much attn, and
read the direction to put switch 1 up, so I did - it worked ok.

Later, I think I read that I should have done it different, I will have to look again,
and let you know.

I don't like the little tiny info you get to the drivers remote - but it sounds a lot better
than the headphone jack hookup.

jonyb
04-08-2009, 08:37 AM
If you guys can get accustomed to your playlists, then it's great. What I did on my ipod was put the playlists that I listen to the most at the top. I did that by putting a (00.__) in front of the playlist name. That keeps it at the top, or you can just number them starting with a 0, such as 01,02, etc.

You can also access everything from the transom remote when your wet and don't wanna get back in teh boat.

I've seen better, but the one that we use in our boat is better than nothing. I just wish I could swap out the head unit for an Alpine. I mentioned that on here once before asking if SC could get us a replacement panel that's blank, but I guess I'll just have to call myself. They really don't even pay attention or don't post here at all. I guarantee if Wet Sounds knew about this place they'd be posting up here about their products.

Fainlts
04-10-2009, 10:00 AM
I just purchase this Kenwood i-pod interface cable ($7)bucks. Charges & works w/ most i-pods. Plugs right into the back of the Kenwood 13 pin CD port. I have not had it on the water, but it's seems to work fine. I assume it does not have all the control features from the head unit. I have not played with it much yet. I am just going to find a generic i-pod holder and mount it on the driver helm and run the cable to the headunit underneath the helm. I have a 2003 Launch LTS. Head unit is on the driver side.

Fain

Salty87
04-10-2009, 10:35 AM
fainlts

where did you get that for $7?

Fainlts
04-10-2009, 11:51 AM
ebay!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150327294461

userid: caraudioaccessoryking

Good luck

mvd
04-13-2009, 04:29 AM
Ok, there are only 2 - and when I put it in, I wasn't paying that much attn, and
read the direction to put switch 1 up, so I did - it worked ok.

Later, I think I read that I should have done it different, I will have to look again,
and let you know.

I don't like the little tiny info you get to the drivers remote - but it sounds a lot better
than the headphone jack hookup.

Installed the IP500 with my ipod 30gb.
Cant figure out how the change maps?
When i plays an song on the ipod and connect it to the headunit it will play that song.
When i try to scroll with the + an - button on the headunit (FM/AM) it seems like i can only change about 8 folders.

Do i have to do something special to the tree structure of my maps in the ipod?
And how to i change maps and folders with the headunit 400MR?

mvd
04-17-2009, 02:46 AM
Still no succes here with my Ipod 30GB 5 gen.
I can play the songs but i can't change maps and folders.

Anyone can help???