PDA

View Full Version : comparing boats and wakes

dejoeco
04-10-2003, 03:26 PM
I have been boat shopping for a used wakeboard boat and have 25 to 30k to spend. I am probably going to get a used Supra Launch or Malibu although the wake behind a 2002 Tige was insane. Does anyone have any thoughts about these boats and wakes. I am least experienced with the Supra, but I kind of like their product and the deeper gunnels.

dndsam
04-11-2003, 11:59 PM
Here's my 2 cents worth.

DO NOT BUY A MALIBU!!!

My dad bought a 2002 Sunsetter LX last spring and has not had very good luck. His gelcoat sustained about 2 dozen chips in the bow area and he lives on the lake and keeps his boat in a lift 9 months out of the year. He has trailered the boat very little, which buy the way Malibu recommends NOT trailering their boats with the cover on for it will dull the finish on the boat. If you ask me, they are all but admitting to a hardening issue in their gelcoat. The dealer was of little help and tried to repair the chips, but they could not match the color, and the factory would not consider repairing his boat. He is still in fued with Malibu and loves his boat but is very pissed on how Malibu is handling this matter. He was sold on Malibu's service and quality but has yet to receive it.

He talked to a lot of different fiberglass people and all agreed that his gelcoat is defective. They said the gelcoat is like an automobile windshield, most stones will bounce off without any damage, however, you will get one occassionally that will chip. He had an independent gel coat expert fix his chips and re-gelcoat the bow part of the hull. He is happy again with his boat, so far. If he didn't have so much invested in a 1 year old boat, he would have sold it and bought a 2003 Supra Sunsport without blinking an eye.

I sure love my 1999 Supra Legacy.

Quality, Quality, Quality!