PDA

View Full Version : Bad gas and Check Engine

wakespeak
04-28-2008, 05:32 PM
We had the Check Engine notice come on the past weekend about an hour after filling up with fuel. The fuel had a strange (bad) smell when I was pumping it. Can this be the cause of the check engine? Idle seems bumpier with some fuel smell (usually none). Otherwise all indicators are fine when running: oil, temp, etc.

2007 22V with Indmar 340 ext/cat.

H2Oman
04-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Was this the first time you have run your boat for several months? Or was this just a routine fill up? Bad gas and moisture in the fuel can cause this.

wakespeak
04-28-2008, 11:28 PM
It was a routine fill up. We have had the boat out this season for about a month now.

H2Oman
04-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Could be bad gas from the station. Maybe someone on the board has a better suggestion, but I would add a fuel stabilizer and see if that helps prior to dumping an entire tank of gas. See if that helps by removing any moisture from the fuel. As a last resort, I would remove all of the bad fuel, replace the fuel filter and fill it up with fresh gas and fuel stabilizer.

It may still run rough until the bad gas is passed through the fuel system lines.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

wakespeak
05-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Dealer says its the TPS (throttle position sensor). A bit odd to have it go out at 130 hrs. We'll see next week when I get it back on the water.

DKJBama92Mariah
05-07-2008, 01:57 PM
EFI, Check engine light, throttle postions sensor; what is the world coming to? :-)

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." Mr. Scott, Star Trek 3

Hmm lets see, check engine: open the hatch, yup, its still there. TPS? Between my butt and my throttle arm, i've got a pretty good idea of where the throttle is at. EFI? Bah! Not if, but when my fuel pump dies, we can make it home with a jug of gas and 3ft of fuel hose. Try that with efi.

I guess it does have its advantages. EFI behaves when its cold; I have to warm up for 2 mins at 1500 rpm before mine will even consider idling. I'm guessing EFI also doesn't load up and stall at the worst possible time when approaching a dock. Your exhaust also probably doesn't stink; mine smells like a 20 year old go cart motor.

Guess each has its advantages. I just prefer to do my troubleshooting with a screwdrivder, vacuum gauge, and a timing light instead of a laptop.

Please don't take offense, i just had to take a shot at all the new fangled technology that I cant afford. :-)

Hope they get it fixed up for you soon!

DKJ