PDA

View Full Version : hydraulic wake plate

mr.jrc
04-10-2003, 09:12 PM
3 years ago I brought my '86 supra saltare to the factory where after i removed the floorboards and shoveled the foam out, Supra replaced the stringers and installed and carpeted a the new floor. I also had the factory install an adjustable wake plate. The only problem is that the wake plate indication (and i believe travel) only goes 50%. Does anyone know the actuator stroke or why the travel is not 100% as indicated on the bennett position indicator.

Brian Raymond
04-10-2003, 10:45 PM
Supra wakeplate stansions are customized to thier boats. The travel of the stansions have a limited throw, if the plate goes to far past the running plane of the hull bottom, it causes the boat to go down to far forward and create a almost uncontrolable bow steer, and a more than wet and unsafe ride for riders in the bow, and a very wet driver. This throw is determined by Supra and customized by Bennett Trim Tabs. There is nothing wrong with your plate or the gauge, they are working correctly. If you should ever have a hydraulic motor or stansion issue, I suggest you order it from a Supra dealer, or from SkiersChoice, to ensure original customized parts replacement.Brian Raymond

dndsam
04-14-2003, 08:11 PM
Brian is correct. I have a 1999 Legacy with a hydraulic wake plate and with the plate in the full down position, the reading on the gauge goes to only 50%. I sure do like the hydraulic adjustment versues a manual one for what I use my boat for. It is definately an upgrade worth spending the money on.

gm
04-17-2003, 09:53 PM
I just completed the conversion from manual to hydraulic wakeplate on my 89 comp. I was also suprized as everyone else that the guage only went to 50 percent. Now I won't feel I am the only one. I also e-mailed the people at bennett with some technical questions about the actuators and they were very helpful. I thought the throw on the pistons did not seem to be very far, but apparently it does not take very much with that hull. Looking forward to lake test tomorrow.

gm
05-11-2003, 08:27 PM
Hydraulic wake plate works great. I was very pleased with how well it changes wake. The button is much easier than adjusting it manually. Now we are able to do wakeboarding and then switch over to slalom instantly. The Bennett system works good. gm

RealDeahl
08-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Does anyone have the model number and size of the Bennett trim tab that will replace the manual wake plate on a 2001 Legacy? Can I get this upgrade at my local (Atlanta) dealer for a reasonable price, or is it easy enough to install yourself?

I am getting tired of holding my breath and counting turns while reconfiguring from slalom to wakeboarding.

Many thanks!

mygreenmonster.com
12-19-2003, 05:29 PM
On the new 04 SSV GG, the plate uses 100% of the gauage. I am new to Supra, so I might be missing the point. But I think it is based on the hull of the boat and what the dealer or Skier's Choice deam the appropriate range.

Salty87
12-22-2003, 12:47 PM
what kinda cost are you guys talking for adding to an older hull?...parts/labor?

i thought i had read somewhere that it would require transom reinforcement, maybe i'm thinking of something else.

thx,
kevin

06-08-2004, 08:44 PM
no transom reinforcement is required. You simply take off the old plate and replace it with the hydraulic one. Of course, with a few holes added to the transom. I got lucky and picked up a used unit for $400.00. A new system is going to cost around $600 to $800 for the entire package. I do not know what the labor charge would be. I installed it myself. The problem I had was in removing the fuel tank on my 89 comp ts6m. I ended up hooking a comealong from the fuel tank to the ski pole. The fuel tank had been installed with some rubber pieces on the straps that had adhesive on them. No way to pull out the fuel tank by hand. It was not too bad to be a shade tree mechanic project. The other problem will be the location of your pump. I did not have much room to work with so I set it behind the seat and in front of the fuel tank on the port side. I had to reposition the blower motor that is located in that same area to make it work.

06-08-2004, 10:46 PM
See if this helps: reach behind the guage, loosen the trim ring holding it in place, and turn the guage 90 deg clockwise.

Now it is in the same plane as the plate itself. So when the needle is horizontal (at approx 50%) so is your plate, And when the needle is up (near zero%), so is your plate.

I did this a week after getting our '02 SSV and never looked back. Now what would make it perfect Skiers Choice, would be a picture of a side profile boat hull in the guage, like Sanger have.

Hope this helps! Keith.

keithf
06-08-2004, 10:47 PM
See if this helps: reach behind the guage, loosen the trim ring holding it in place, and turn the guage 90 deg clockwise.

Now it is in the same plane as the plate itself. So when the needle is horizontal (at approx 50%) so is your plate, And when the needle is up (near zero%), so is your plate.

I did this a week after getting our '02 SSV and never looked back. Now what would make it perfect Skiers Choice, would be a picture of a side profile boat hull in the guage, like Sanger have.

Hope this helps! Keith.

josephpandak
07-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Please post phone #'s to Bennett. Or, did each of you just call the factory?
Thanks for your help,

Joe Pandak

WakerChris
11-08-2004, 02:53 PM
How much does it cost to go froma manual plate to a Hydraulic one?