PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice while rebuilding my 87 comp ts6m

sfields
05-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Well, I bought the boat that I had dreamed of since I was a kid... a Supra Comp ts6m. I put it in the lake and enjoyed it last fall, then put it away for the winter. I pulled it out of dry storage a couple of weeks ago to start cleaning it up for summer... and found the problem that many (most) of you seem to have had... the floor was rotten. I have spend every spare moment since pulling out the floor, engine, stringers, gas tank, etc. I am starting to develop a little confidence in having it back together before summer... but I have a couple of questions for those of you who have been there. The stringers were rotten around the engine, but seem to still be intact forward of the dash panel. They are, however, wet. I obviously don't want to pull the top off and replace the stringers forward of the dash... but am I making a critical mistake by replacing and reglassing the stringers behind the dash and crossing my fingers on the front?
I basically have the same concerns with the transom... when I pulled the main stringers, I exposed wet plywood where they contacted the transom. I also see wet wood around where the exhaust exits the transom. Should I yank it now (it seems solid, but is definately wet).

Thanks for any help in getting me and my kids ready for ski season (does anybody still ski???)

Scott

SupraNut
05-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Since you are in TN, you may want to contact Donnie Bennett at Bennett's Boat Repair in Maryville. He does most if not all the warranty work for Supra and Mastercraft. He replaced the floors in my '90 Sunsport Classic (complete deck off replacement). He is a really good guy, has seen it all and may be able to give you the best advise.

riveredge
05-09-2008, 10:29 AM
good advice from SupraNut... I hate to be the one to say it but if the wood is wet, you gotta fix it. there's no sure way to get all the water out without taking it all out, and since you're already halfway there....... that's what I'd do anyway.

Salty87
05-09-2008, 12:48 PM
yup, like he ^ said. it would take forever to get it to dry like you'd want it, like it comes from the mill...not talking pressure treated. the foam will never dry. it will hold mold spores though as will the old wetted plywood.

it's a gamble to leave it in, could ruin all of your $$ and sweat. depends on the condition its in. it's alot easier to do the work with everything out of your way. i'd hate to see what my dash, wiring, etc would look like after all the grinding if i hadn't gotten them outta the way. even with the hull stripped to nothing there's barely enough room to move around.

DKJBama92Mariah
05-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Is much as I hate to say it and as much as you really don't want to hear it. Do it right, or do it twice. If you dont have air tools, now might be a good time.

DKJ

sfields
05-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the advice... I just spent another five hours stripping the rest of the exposed stringers and cleaning up with acetone (pew). Out of curiosity I stuck a one inch drill bit into the stringers that continue under the dash. It took some effort to drill, but what came out was dark and damp. I really don't want to pull the top, but consensus is sure saying that I should. On the good side I did realize that the "wood" that I could see on the transom was infact a layer off wood from the stringer. Thank you Supra for what I now realize is a wood free transom! (one less thing to worry about). Thank you so much for all of the help... sure glad I went to the supra site.