PDA

View Full Version : Tight Steering

mvermeer
05-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Anybody have any suggestions for tight steering? I have looked at some of the previous postings and tried all the advice that many of you gave. I made sure there was grease in the rudder, disconnected the steering cable from the rudder to see if it was tight and it was. So now I am wondering if it is the cable. I have a hard time believing that it would be because it is a 2005 with only 45 hours. I was hoping there were some grease zerks on the line somewhere to lube it up. Anybody have any advice or do you all think it is a ceased up cable? Please let me know. Thanks

Pdowling1
05-18-2008, 08:40 PM
It looks like you need a cable....
Once water gets in it, hours on the engine are irrelevant.

85SunSkier
05-18-2008, 09:07 PM
If you move the rudder with no cable attached, does it move freely....if so you have cable issues. try to soak the cable in penetrating oil to free it up..make sure that moves freely...might have to be removes to get the oil in deep to the cable.

kingwoodlee
05-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Unless the rudder is bend and doesn' move freely, it is going to be the cable. I have replaced 1 on my 88 comp and am fixing to replace the helm,bezel and cable next week. I have too much freeplay in the wheel now. Just the cable is a pretty easy job.