PDA

View Full Version : Tight steering while under load?

River dweller
05-27-2008, 07:25 PM
I have a 1987 Comp that I have completely restored. I have owned 5 of them over the past few years but I have recently run into an issue. The steering cables were replaced before I bought the boat and move nicely while not moving, once a load is put on it, the steering gets tight. I greased the rudder box and the rudder seams nice and tight, any ideas? Also, I re-caulked the exhaust, cleaned all of the carbon from the supertrapp's, but I am still taking in too much water, any ideas here? Maybe the rudder? This boat turned out quite well, so I have to make it right, I also scored two brand new Air Guide gauges for it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

riveredge
05-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I would guess you're getting leaking around the rudder, there should be packing in there like the driveshaft. How much drip do you get from the driveshaft? And where did you ever find two new Airguide gauges for that thing?

River dweller
05-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Last year, I had a 1990 Comp and I was getting a part at a local marina when I noticed two Airguide boxes inside the counter glass area. This year, I went back when I needed them, and there they were, brand new in the boxes. I paid $90.00 each and did not complain at all. The boot on my shaft seal is pretty dry-rotted, I have not had time to check it while running, but hopefully it will get nice out and I can check it. Do you have any recomendations for shaft seals? This restore has been a challenge, I even tracked down the guy who has the rights to the old windshields. Any advice is always appreciated

jrh1010
06-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Mine steers pretty good while at idle, but does not steer well at all under load. Did you determine what the problem was?