PDA

View Full Version : steering cable type

riveredge
05-29-2008, 12:54 PM
I have seen a bunch of threads on here about steering cable replacement, but can anyone tell me the exact model and length that they have used in a ts6m? We need to replace one in an '89 and I was just hoping to take the guesswork out of it and get the right one first try.

Thanks!

riveredge
05-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Well I got an answer from supra so I guess I don't need to know haha, apparently the helm does not get replaced unless absolutely necessary (it's a $250 retail part alone) and the cable I was able to find - a teleflex QCII with an adapter to fit the QC to the threaded part on the helm.
cheers!

kingwoodlee
05-29-2008, 10:33 PM
I have an 88 comp and purchased a complete Uflex Rotech unit with helm, bezel and cable. The Uflex cable is part#M66X18. I bought it from DIM. I haven't mounted it yet. It will require oversizing the hole in the dash to fit. Let everyone know how it all works out.

riveredge
06-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Turns out the cable itself is just a standard Telefelx QC (quick connect) cable but you need a little adapter to change the threaded end on the helm to a "quick connection." I'll let you all know how it goes on install but it seems like it's that simple - and we had one in stock which always beats ordering!
kingwoodlee - I think you could get an identical helm (it's called a "Big T" I believe) and use the old bezel so you don't have to mess up the dash, couldn't you? I could be wrong but I was looking at that too, and you can buy the helm and just not use the bezel that comes with it... let me know if you try that...

jrh1010
06-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Turns out the cable itself is just a standard Telefelx QC (quick connect) cable but you need a little adapter to change the threaded end on the helm to a "quick connection." I'll let you all know how it goes on install but it seems like it's that simple - and we had one in stock which always beats ordering!
kingwoodlee - I think you could get an identical helm (it's called a "Big T" I believe) and use the old bezel so you don't have to mess up the dash, couldn't you? I could be wrong but I was looking at that too, and you can buy the helm and just not use the bezel that comes with it... let me know if you try that...

How did this problem work out? I am looking to change my cable out as well and am about to call Supra.

riveredge
06-25-2008, 10:37 AM
I ended up using a Teleflex QC cable, with the adapter on the helm end to go from threaded to quick-connect... kept the old helm, it seems fine. But the "Big T" helm is the OEM replacement.