PDA

View Full Version : 89 comp resto

riveredge
06-03-2008, 10:53 AM
So I thought I'd put up some pictures of the 89 comp we're restoring. We picked up this boat from ebay and towed it 1500 miles to NH in december - miraculously not seeing a single snowflake or raindrop the whole trip. It started and ran, but it had been neglected for quite some time - it needed SERIOUS cosmetic help. Fortunately, the interior was in good shape - we removed it and it cleaned up nicely. The carpet practically came out with a single pull, and the engine has been removed as well. We pulled up the floor and foam under it (there were a couple bad spots in the edges of the floor around the engine), to find structurally sound stringers - thank god - and we re-foamed and are putting the new floor down next. The engine that's going in it is the engine I took out of my '89 bravura when I put in the GT-40 engine. 750 hours and running strong, to give us more time to tinker with the original (identical) engine. Hope to see this in the water in a few weeks, and it will get used this summer to work out any kinks before we sell it maybe next spring. The parts I've been looking for are the dash pieces (the aluminum that surrounds the gauges), and the lenses for the speedometers (in another thread)... also a few of the VDO gauges too - some really bad fading, like on the tach... Anyway I thought I'd post some pictures for those of you who have been here before... and I'll be sure to post more as it comes together!
Interesting to see the differences between this and a Nautique we've pulled apart; Supra does a nice job from what I've seen.

Oregonsuprafever
06-07-2008, 08:20 PM
does your boat have a molded plastic foot area? What was the condition of it? I have a 1990 conbrio and the plastic is all cracked. Not sure what to do. Needs to be replaced. Any ideas? Thought you might know since you are working on a comp. Any new pics of interior? thanks

riveredge
06-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Those plastic pieces are tough to find in good shape. This one came with just a couple cracks and we'll patch with fiberglass on the backside to fix it. This is a good option because you can use the existing piece as a form, even if it's badly broken - that's easier than making a whole new one; you could also just glass in the indent, and put down some Gator Grip in the bottom - don't forget the drain too. Just some thoughts... I'll post more pictures as we make progress, but it was 90 here for the last few days so we've been on the lake in other boats and not working on this one...
This one had a glove box that was all half broken too and we just glassed the back side of it and it's like 10 times stronger now...

riveredge
07-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Here's a shot of the red comp we've been working on... it floats and runs! I'll post more pictures when I locate the memory card with the pictures on it... anyway it's running great and needs only a few punchlist things to be really done. You can probably spot one or two from that picture...