PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Oil Change 06 22SSV

cbondurant
06-06-2008, 10:11 AM
I would like to attempt the transmission oil change myself. The transmission manual lists numerous types of oil that can be used. Can anyone suggest a common oil that I can find at Autozone or Advanced Auto.

I plan to use my oil evacuator to suck the oil out thru the fill hole. Is this the correct procedure?

Also, I was also wondering if you guys are using a particular oil in the V Drive. I was told by the dealer to use 30W oil from any manufacture.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

wakespeak
06-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I have changed my transmission fluid with an extractor - I think almost everyone including dealers uses that procedure. I have not tried undoing the bolts on the bottom, dropping the filter components, and cleaning the filter. I found a post on the MasterCraft site and one of the members there struggled through it and the filter was completely clear. On the other hand if you search here there is someone that responded to a similar post that sounded like an Indmar rep and basically said you need to lift the back (because of clearance issues getting to the bolts) of the motor by releasing the engine mounts. That is a huge job. I used Mobil 1 ATF.

On the v-drive, unscrew the lower rbox shaped bolt and let it drain. Try to get a pan under it and then suck the pan contents out. You definately need a pipe sealant or Teflon tape (works for me best) or you'll get a few drops leaking out. I use any diesel (Chevron Delo, Shell Rotella) SAE30 oil. They have more extended pressure additives that should help the gears/bearings versus the recommended Pennzoil 30, although it is easier to find..

H2Oman
06-10-2008, 07:54 PM
I agree with wakespeak. Sounds like he has a good plan. After changing out the Transmition and V-Drive fluid, be sure to check them after your next use to ensure the levels are right.

I place a towel on the bottom of the hull and then proceed to change the fluids. This catches anything that drips and helps keep it out of the lake. Also, Teflon tape works great for sealing back all drain bolts, including the oil drain hose and the drain plug at the back of the boat. It helps keep you from over tightening the bolts and helps prevent leaking.

I have used Pennzoil, Mobil, Motorcraft and Rotella for the various fluids (not mixing them, of course.) All have worked fine.

I haven't switched over to synthetic, but am thinking about it. I use it in my cars, just haven't in the boat, yet. I am interested in feedback from those on this board who may have...