PDA

View Full Version : Plastic fuel tank repair

FoiltechLaunch21V
06-16-2008, 02:32 PM
I have a large hole in my fuel tank (on top) Have tried to repair this with Marine-tex and plastic fuel tank repair can't seem to get this to seal the tank.Any suggestions? "06 Launch 21V :Moeller tank out of Sparta Tn.

DKJBama92Mariah
06-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Wow. How did the hole get there. Considering the fact that if the tank leaks, your boat can become a fireball; i would seriously consider replacing the entire tank.

If you're hell bent on repairing, we need more info. How big is the hole? Can you access the underside of the hole through the hole for the fuel pickup and tank sender?

You might also consider taking it to a REAL boatyard, not a dealership and paying an experienced professional to take care of it. Fuel vapors are not something to play around with.

FoiltechLaunch21V
06-16-2008, 05:27 PM
How big is the hole? Can you access the underside of the hole through the hole for the fuel pickup and tank sender?
The hole is about the size of your fist. The fuel pickup is 1 1/4" in dia. and the sending hole is 1 7/8" No way to access the inside of the tank to put something for attachment. I really should order a new tank but before i did I thought I would check in here first. You never know. Thanks

FoiltechLaunch21V
06-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Just a follow up on the fuel tank. I have spent the last 5 hours on the phone trying to order this tank from Moeller. Unfortunately they can't sell it to me because it's an OEM item and the other 10 dealers and marine parts places I have tried can't seem to make any progress either.

DKJBama92Mariah
06-17-2008, 10:51 PM
If its an OEM part, you have to order through the boat manufacturer. Best bet is to email the Skier's Choice ("SC") resident parts guru Anthony Cooper at [email protected] .

You can then either order it through your dealer if you have a good relationship with one or order direct from SC.

Also, did I understand you correctly in the other thread when you said that the floorboards as designed by SC and not modified in any way caused the hole?

FoiltechLaunch21V
06-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Finally received the fuel tank from SC the fill port was crushed (had to heat and reshape to make it seal) Also the new tank had a double handful of trash and debris in it, The fittings for the return line were missing all together and last but not least the sending unit did not work at all had to remove sending unit from the old tank and install in the new one. Other than that everything was PERFECT!!:rolleyes: