PDA

View Full Version : Advice on the purchase of a 1996 Supra Sunspot

RuudDog
09-11-2019, 11:05 PM
New to forum and considering the purchase of a 1996 Supra Sunsport. The boat is going to be a bit of a drive to pick up so I will be having a long conversation with the owner about condition, repairs, maintenance, etc. but he has agreed (by text) to taking a significantly lower price than what he was asking. Would any of the experts on 1996 Sunsports here on the forum be willing to take a look at the ad and consider the price and just double-check me on what I'm seeing? If someone is willing then I can PM the link for the ad and have the discussion more one-on-one if that's allowed. Not too crazy about posting the ad publicly since I think it's a pretty good deal (at least I'm hoping). Thanks in advance.

jtryon
09-12-2019, 08:30 AM
send me a PM and i'll take a look for ya

michael hunter
09-12-2019, 08:43 AM
Where is the boat?

LuisNichols
09-29-2019, 03:47 PM
Well, my old one needs repair and I am looking for the new. Thanks for the topic, will follow the variants!

michael hunter
09-30-2019, 07:38 AM
I don't get this post you ask for help but don't give any location and then you get someone from CT willing to go anywhere to look for you? Did miss something?

MJHKnox
09-30-2019, 09:35 AM
Someone is going to steal his smoking deal . . . ???

RuudDog
09-30-2019, 09:35 AM
Sorry, Michael, I should have finished up this thread earlier. I think the post from LuisNichols was posted to this thread by mistake. To finish this thread, though, jtryon and I talked through PM and he gave me good advice on the boat I was looking at. I didn't end up buying because of a miscommunication on the price between myself and the seller. Still looking for a good 1992+ Supra Sunsport at a good end of season price.

jtryon
10-02-2019, 09:30 AM
Sorry, Michael, I should have finished up this thread earlier. I think the post from LuisNichols was posted to this thread by mistake. To finish this thread, though, jtryon and I talked through PM and he gave me good advice on the boat I was looking at. I didn't end up buying because of a miscommunication on the price between myself and the seller. Still looking for a good 1992+ Supra Sunsport at a good end of season price.

damn, what price was he stuck at? sorry it didn't work out for ya.

RuudDog
10-04-2019, 04:56 PM
I think it was $10,000 which was too much for me. He originally thought I was spam and he said “sure” to my offer just for kicks. Wasn’t until I followed up multiple times that he realized I wasn’t spam. Annoying miscommunication.

michael hunter
10-05-2019, 05:09 AM
10k for a 96 doesn't sound too high depending on condition?

RuudDog
10-08-2019, 05:13 PM
What are your thoughts on this one?

https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/steamboat-springs-supra-sunsport-ski/6983830865.html

I’m thinking I need to give up on the 1992+ idea until I’m willing to spend more than $6000. Stuck on sunsport because I want to slalom, wakeboard, and surf. When asked if stringers were replaced the owner said “ I have owned it for 11 years. P/O did all that in 2006 during rebuild. I marked motor mounts with purple sharpie when I bought it and they have not moved.” It does not have perfect pass but owner says throttle stays in correct position for all sports.

Mischief IV
10-08-2019, 08:36 PM
If the stringers are good and solid, worth the asking price. It has all you need to get started skiing. I guess with no rear seat it would be good for surfing if adding ballast bags.
Upholstery is very odd but otherwise looks like everything else has either been repaired or replaced. Maybe 280 hp with a rebuilt motor but stock number is 240 hp on the 351W.

RuudDog
10-08-2019, 10:53 PM
Yeah, the motor numbers were confusing to me and the upholstery is very odd. As I'm considering this one, another guy with a 1994 Sunsport might have just made me an offer I can't refuse at $7500 and willing to meet me about halfway from home so 9 hours instead of 17. It's not set up for surfing yet like this one is but it's in really great shape with only 425 hours on the motor. Wasn't wanting to spend that kind of money just yet but the 1994 is definitely worth it and then some.

jtryon
10-09-2019, 08:21 AM
agreed that the upholstery is odd, but that can all probably be redone for around $2k or less if you shop around and if you care that much. if there's proof of a stringer rebuild (paperwork), that first boat is worth the money for sure with a rebuilt trans and engine. for the peace of mind though, $7500 for a non-wood boat might be worth it--i think 93+ had fuel injection as well? literally all you need to surf that sunsport hull is 2000lbs of ballast and a suckgate of some sort, so that's not a hard add. let me know if you need a hookup on bags and pumps once you get to that point.

Mischief IV
10-09-2019, 02:29 PM
Wasn't wanting to spend that kind of money just yet but the 1994 is definitely worth it and then some.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!