PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Supra Comp

BillyBrad
10-11-2019, 07:06 AM
I purchased a few weeks ago. Fair to Good condition. Have spent many hours cleaning hull and Cleaner wax above the water line. Interior was covered by a boat cover that leaked over a period of 2 years. Some of the vinyl on the seats has black spots I can't get off...Any suggestions??? I took it out for my First Run yesterday. Top speed was 35mph, Is that normal ? Indmar V-8. I want to restore this boat for my Grandchildren and teach them to ski while I still have my health at 70. Thanks for your consideration folks

crystal waters
10-11-2019, 10:49 AM
I purchased a few weeks ago. Fair to Good condition. Have spent many hours cleaning hull and Cleaner wax above the water line. Interior was covered by a boat cover that leaked over a period of 2 years. Some of the vinyl on the seats has black spots I can't get off...Any suggestions??? I took it out for my First Run yesterday. Top speed was 35mph, Is that normal ? Indman V-8. Iwant to restore this boat for my Grandchildren and teach them to ski while I still have my health at 70. Thanks for your consideration folks

Should be able to achieve approx 44 to 45 mph.
Your engine is an Indmar .

BillyBrad
10-12-2019, 12:26 AM
Thank You for the reply....Could it be the prop? Tuning? carb? engine sounds good. Wonder what to check out 1st etc?

crystal waters
10-12-2019, 05:43 PM
Thank You for the reply....Could it be the prop? Tuning? carb? engine sounds good. Wonder what to check out 1st etc?

Do a compression test on all eight cylinders first!
All of your suggestions are valid ones.
Unless you are a good mechanic take it to a reputable marine shop and let them run through the gauntlet for you.
Could be a combination of things .
Good luck!

BillyBrad
10-13-2019, 08:02 PM
Thanks Again ….Compression check...Coming UP!!!

crystal waters
10-15-2019, 11:17 AM
Thanks Again ….Compression check...Coming UP!!!

Assuming your compression test checks out ok, then you need to chase the cause for your slow speeds compared to normal.
You can spend a lot of money chasing potential causes on your own .
Go to a reputable marine shop and let them do it for you.
Could actually save you dollars in the long run.

Wickliffe
10-18-2019, 07:50 AM
I'm guessing there are a lot of suspects with an issue like this?