PDA

View Full Version : stringer rot and repair

rougemont
06-25-2008, 01:48 PM
I have a 90 supra comp that I'm having a local shop restore. They found that the stringers were partially rotted and repaired them by shiplapping the new to the original good section "no rot" just below the front seat area continuing with the new stringer to the transom. Has anyone here ever heard of a partial stringer replacement using this method? If so, does it need any additional reinforcing after glassing?

thanks

riveredge
06-26-2008, 09:53 AM
I have seen instances where a partial replacement was possible and acceptable, and once it's all back together and fiberglassed you don't need any additional reinforcement, to be sure. A well done fiberglass job will be strong as hell. I would just be skeptical that there wasn't rot or water all the way up in the boat, but sometimes that's the case, as with the 89 comp we just tore into. Also, an older I/O I used to have, I replaced stringers about halfway up and they were totally fine from there... Some would argue it's never a good idea to do half a boat but I have seen cases where it is...

rougemont
06-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks I wil keep you posted and try to post some pics that I have taken during the process.