PDA

View Full Version : '86 Supra Sunsport

Graeme
06-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Hi,

New to the board here, with a new to me Supra. I was looking for a late 80's Mariah, when I came across this pimped out Sunsport in very good condition.

The interior was redone in 2006, and it has a new 6 speaker stereo. It has a 2002 Supra Launch Tower and 3 sacs for a total of 1200 lbs of ballast.

I've already refinished the teak swim platform, and installed satellite radio. I'll probably put a sub and some tower speakers this winter. Also, the original brown carpet has to go, and I am thinking about some super plush black or grey carpet.

Lastly...I love wakeboarding, and can't wait to wakesurf this boat, but I have a secret addiction to slalom. The boat has no slalom pole, and the previous owner is not sure there was ever one there. Where to find a pole, and how big a deal would installation be?

Graeme

michael hunter
06-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Graeme
Your new boat looks great. I think you will be very happy with it I have owned my 89 Sunsport since new the pylon on my boat is mounted in front of the engine cover .
I have the extended pylon and added a barefoot boom adaptor. You can see pics on
pride & joy [my 89 sunsport] Let me know if you need under floor pics

Graeme
06-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Sweet Sunsport Mike. Looks great!

Thanks for the offer about pics. I'll just have to see how this season goes and see how she runs. I am hoping for the pylon that it was just removed, and it's a case of bloting in a new one...

cowboy4
07-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I have my pole and base that I won't be re-installing if your interested. It' located in oklahoma city,

Graeme
04-04-2010, 12:31 AM
So this winters project was to repair the gaping, rotten water logged poop pit that was under the driver's seat, and to replace the worn out original brown carpet with something a little nicer.

While I had the carpet up, I also fixed those little round openings where they inject the foam. Quite a few had cracked through and made little "soft spots" under the carpet.

Put in a sub too...:)

I ripped the interior out in a few days and carved out the rotten stuff. Then let it all dry over a few months, then over the last few days I did the floor repairs and put in the new carpet. What do you think?

By the way, the last pic is today, I put the boat in the water...in Canada. April 3rd. It was 75 F. Awesome weather for up here! Tomorrow I am going skiing and boarding!

Graeme
04-04-2010, 12:32 AM
The rest of the pics:

michael hunter
04-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Sweeeeet That's one clean looking Sunsport. Did you get your ski pylon installed? My wife skis and I pull her off the tower Its a little high bur better than the transom tow loop witch is too low .

Kip
04-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Great looking boat and thanks for the pics. I like how the cd player is integrated into the bottom of the walk through seat.

Graeme
04-04-2010, 09:51 AM
I never did get a ski pole in, and I have done enough this winter. That's a project for next winter.

That walkthrough see is getting packed and I am losing that storage area as I intstal more stuff. There's now the deck, the amp and the sub. I might the sat radio in the vinyl like the deck later.

---Was I drunk when I wrote this? That whole second paragraph makes no sense. But I will leave it there for posterity...

DGREEN
04-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Graeme, Sweet Sunsport Dude! Love it, what cool boats, the more I see the more I love! Great job on your carpet and floor!

dshaff24
04-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Nice clean set up!

csuggs
04-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Very nice - just love the old Sunsports and yours looks like a keeper!

87SunSportMikeyD
04-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey Hey great looking SunSport! Love the new interior. Is that a speaker above the cooler where the valuables bag used to be? Awesome! Where are your sacs located and how are they pumped?

If you still have a hole for the pylon in front of the doghouse, you could put a new one in. There should be visable mounting supports for the ski pylon in you look in the bilge access hole. If they are there the pole just bolts in. BUT, it's hard to have people sitting in the rear bench seat when using the low pole.

mapleleaf
04-06-2010, 08:28 AM
In the water up here already??? Nice work....My boat's still hiding under it's cover, interior being worked on in the basement!!!!
I better go check on her, I'm a little late in getting started this year....the weather has been ridiculously warm!!!

Graeme
04-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Hey Hey great looking SunSport! Love the new interior. Is that a speaker above the cooler where the valuables bag used to be? Awesome! Where are your sacs located and how are they pumped?

If you still have a hole for the pylon in front of the doghouse, you could put a new one in. There should be visable mounting supports for the ski pylon in you look in the bilge access hole. If they are there the pole just bolts in. BUT, it's hard to have people sitting in the rear bench seat when using the low pole.

Yea, there are two extra speakers located in the passthrough. They are pointed at each other, which is not ideal, but at least the bow gets some sound.

My sacs are not installed. I just put them on the floor. I wish I could find a way to put them in. I have 3x200 lbs and 1x 600 lbs. I fill them with a bilge pump plugged into the cig lighter. It's a real pain to fill them and unfill them, and they take up all the floor space. I was thinking of putting a 200 in the bow and maybe another 200 in the rear storage. The rear storage "floor" though is really thin and I am not sure it would support the weight.

How did you do yours?

87SunSportMikeyD
04-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Check my thread in pride and joy for more pics and details, but I have a 350 sac in the rear ski locker, a 260 sac under the rear bench seat, and two 400 sacs under the open bow (but still have open storage space under the bow!). The only sac on the floor for me is the surf sac which is a 750. I take this out of storage when we are going to surf only.

I have one reversable Simer brand pump located under the spotters seat. It pulls water from the raw water intake and is connected to all the sacs. Every sac also has a hand-operated open/close valve. I only fill one or two sacs at once, otherwise it seems to go really slow. The floor sac has a short retractable length of hose, used to connect to floor sac, fill, then close off the sac with the valve. If you want, that hose can be used to washing things off or spraying swimmers. :)

When I surf, I drain the bow sac that is opposite the surf side. We usually are running somewhere between 1300-1600 lbs, more or less depending on crew.

matt@lanier
06-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Graeme, I'm looking to purchase an 86 sunsport with the works done to it!
I am really big into wakeboarding so the family i/o gets me by. however, I really want to get surfing on the choppy days at the lake. That is where the i/o searay fails me. How is this boat with surfing? would you be able to send a picture of the wake and a wakeboarding speed and a surf wake?
appreciate it.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Matt - Check the link in my signature for plenty of surf pics. This boat has one of the best waves of any direct drive that I know of.

Here are my videos. PLenty of surf vids.
http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos