PDA

View Full Version : Mariah 351W Engine Removal and Replacement

lmnelson86
05-17-2020, 06:39 PM
After having engine trouble last year and no luck selling the boat as-is, I decided to pull my motor and rebuild/replace. My boat sits way out in my backyard under shrink-wrap and looking at it everyday motivated me to make time to fix it. I have a little extra free time thanks to the COVID crisis. This past Thursday I pulled it out and disconnected everything in preparation to remove on Friday. The engine was removed this past Friday after work was done for the day. I set the engine in the back of my pickup and brought it home and tore it all down by 7pm that evening. I discovered that my block was cracked pretty bad between cylinders 6 & 7. The only reason I can think this occurred was due to poor winterization and/or a stuck thermostat. I winterize it myself....Shit happens. I'll be purchasing a new logo block this week and swapping all components over to the new motor. I also need to rebuild the wire harness at some point sooner than later as two main wires (I forget which ones) have some resistance in them when I ohm them out.

Pictures of the process too follow.

lmnelson86
05-18-2020, 12:48 PM
Nice little crack, no magnaflux needed to find this beauty.

19183 1918419185

Jetlink
05-19-2020, 05:23 PM
With regards to the wire harness, I would consider ordering a new one from SKIDIM and just be done with it.

lmnelson86
05-20-2020, 11:49 PM
With regards to the wire harness, I would consider ordering a new one from SKIDIM and just be done with it.

I didn’t know that was an option. Is that a store or a member in this forum? Thanks!

Mischief IV
05-21-2020, 12:10 AM
I didn’t know that was an option. Is that a store or a member in this forum? Thanks!

Discount Inboard Marine.
Visit them at skidim.com
It is better to call them directly. They have great tech support.
803-345-0996
Every forum member with a brain should have that number stored in their phone.

lmnelson86
05-21-2020, 08:00 AM
Awesome, thank you for the tip. I will call them this morning.

lmnelson86
05-23-2020, 11:55 AM
Well this project is no longer. I ordered a long block on Thursday and got a phone call that evening from a potential buyer. The long block order was cancelled and this boat is on its way to its new home in South Carolina. I'll miss it.