PDA

View Full Version : 92' Comp Speedometers.

Morphix
07-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Does anyone have any idea on where I can find some new speedometers for my 1992 Supra Comp?

I was on the lake the other day with it and I noticed the gauge was dead. I haven't taken it out yet but the water filling up the speedo and dripping onto my legs points to the bladder on the speedo being broken. If anyone has any idea on how to repair it or what to look at, etc. Please let me know, I am right now looking for some new Speedometers and it's not going well. I can't find any places who have old Supra Speedo's or anything compatible or decent looking that would work.

Idea's Links.. anything would be much appreciated.

critterCQB
07-08-2008, 10:57 PM
It's your speedometer ballasts. They're brass tubes w/a diaphram in them that converts water pressure to air pressure. One of your diaphrams has ruptured, allowing water through the entire system. Let the speedo drain, replace the ballast tube(they're behind the gas tank), and you should be good!

DKJBama92Mariah
07-09-2008, 03:49 AM
They're either teleflex or airguide.

Does this look like it. This is what my 92 Mariah has.
http://www.teleflexmarine.com/document/productpdf/document1002_5_1044.pdf

Called the Teleflex Amega series.

I'm drunk, i'll share more tomorrow.

FoiltechLaunch21V
07-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Check with Overton's I think they have them.

Morphix
07-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Awesome, thanks for the input guys. I checked more into them and they are Airguide Guages, they aren't the Amega series, I wish they were, so I'd have a company that is still in business to hound.... Anyways, thanks for the info on the balast critter, I know those "black tube things" as i called them were there but I never knew why or anything, but what you are saying makes sense, so I will defnitely check that out. I just WISH i knew this a month ago when I replaced my back left Pitot tube... *cries* that tank is a nightmare to get out and back in... :-( But at least now I dont have to go find a part that is just about impossible to find. :-)

I'll keep you guys upto date.

Salty87
07-11-2008, 11:04 AM
skidim sells a paddle-wheel speedo from faria. i've installed 1 but haven't finished the rebuild to try it out yet. i was tired of the pitot's and bad speed readings.

Morphix
07-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Yep, I saw those ones salty, infact i very well might buy those faria ones tonight and just replace my current ones since I have to pull the gas tank out anyways. That or I find a place where I can get a balast tube or just two new balast tubes.. i figure if one goes, the other one is about to go as-well.

critterCQB
07-12-2008, 12:23 PM
I know this sounds horrible, but I just use my garmin GPS for speed. I've found it to be pretty accurate, and it's nice to have in tidal waters. I've got 2 ruptured ballast tubes, and am gonna wait till fall to yank the fuel tank to redo the floor boards AND speedos. That paddlewheel sounds pretty intriguing.

FoiltechLaunch21V
07-13-2008, 07:03 AM
garmin GPS That paddlewheel sounds pretty intriguing.

I know alot of guys that are using a gps for speed. And the paddle wheel is the way to go, they are really easy to install.

riveredge
07-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Agreed on both points - GPS for speed is nice! and Paddlewheels are much better than the vacuum tubes. My friend has a completely redone 84 nautique with only a GPS where the speedometers would be and it's great. Easy to read and accurate, no questions asked.

That being said, the old airguides do come up on ebay sometimes and usually fetch around $100-120 if you want to keep it original.

critterCQB
07-15-2008, 06:13 PM
My friend has a completely redone 84 nautique with only a GPS where the speedometers would be and it's great.

Wow, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of that would ya?